removal of cast iron tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bggas400

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm semi gutting my bathroom in part due to the previous owners neglect at having gaping holes in the cauking aroung the tub area and allowing water ro run insde for God knows how many years. In any event, I want to remove the tub and put it in my downstairs bath. However there is a baseboard heating element just inches from the rignt end of the tub so I can't slide it out. The left side has all the plubming so I can't slide it that way.

Any suggestions on removing this thing?
I'd rather not break it up but will if I need to.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Barry

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

Going to be some work, but the only way I see of doing this is to remove the studs at the end where the baseboard heater is and stand the tub up to remove.

Just remove the tub filler nipple , disconnect the drain and lift the tub end at plumbing wall up. There is nothing in the way of the bottom left corner of the skirt. should come right out

tub1.jpg

Last edited:
I should really scroll down before starting to edit a photo, I just made an almost identical picture to MrDavids.

So uh, yeah....do that. ;)

Thanks all...
I didn't get noified of you comments till this morning but what I did yesterday was make some 'shims' out of 2x6
Lift the tub up on each side to start and pull each end to slide it out. Once far enough out, I put some 2x4's under it and slid it out the rest of the way. Took some time but I got it.... and a large crow bar helps. Sucker is pretty heavy and I didn't realize the back side was sitting on the edge of a length of 1x4.

Now to get it downstairs.

Not sure if this is the forum but since the baseboard heeating pipes run down through the floor... how does once create a 'seal' aournd them after tiling the floor so no water goes through if spilled on the floor?

Thanks again.
Barry

bath.JPG

Well, it depends on how close to the wall the pipes are, if they are out a little you could just dump a crapload of silicone around them, then cover it with a chrome trim plate.

My new technical term for the day is "crapload of silicone"

Thanks... a "crapload of silicone" it is unless I remove that length of baseboard and use radiant heat under the floor.

That baseboard unit also stops me from installing a 32" tub as opposed to a 30"

With all the problems the baseboard heating has caused you, I'd recommend getting rid of the old system and replacing it with a new, modern radiant heat floor system. Since the tub is already removed, you will have a clean slate to work with. Please make sure to take lots of pictures for inspiration to others!

If you are doing tile couldnt you just grout around the pipe?

It's a hot water pipe though, copper tends to expand quite a bit (relatively speaking) in heat. I have seen a couple of places where grouting around an extremely hot pipe has caused the grout to crack.

Latest posts

Back