Another stoppage problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaky1

Reaction score
I can't help you with an answer but I have a similar draining issue in my kitchen sink. Nothing else in the house is backing up - just kitchen sink. Drain is right above unfinished basement so I unhooked the trap (P-Pipe) in the basement, cleaned that out with not much coming out of there. Then I ran 15 feet of snake into the PVC drain pipe and felt no obstructions. Still won't drain so .... I too am stumped. I snaked past where another drain is joined to this drain and nothing else is backing up. Doesn't make sense to me.

Why don't you enter behind the p trap under the sink? That is the most logical place to enter and unclog a stoppage.

Why don't you enter behind the p trap under the sink? That is the most logical place to enter and unclog a stoppage.

Of course; I did that first but the blockage isn't above the P trap. Checking the P trap was next on my list then snaking from the P trap onwards through the PVC drain pipe - no blockage was evident through about 15 feet of snake; almost to the main drain pipe (probably 3" diameter PVC pipe). That's why I don't understand what the issue is :confused:

Just to let you know what the outcome of my kitchen sink clog was - I basically gave you trying on my own and called in the pro's. Although it cost me LOTS ($$), I'm glad I did because I doubt I would have ever freed up the drain on my own. Every the 25' electric snake would not clear the blockage. The snake would go through the grease blockage but would not break it up enough to wash it out :eek: The eventual solution was to determine where the blockage was then cut a section of PVC piping out and dislodge the blockage that way. 6' piece cut out and 4' of blockage that was grease and god knows what else. I guess that's what 25 years of general living does to your PVC kitchen drainage pipes. Will take a lot more care in future in terms of rinsing greasy fry pans, plates etc. Wipe 'em down with a paper towel first is what I'll do in future. Unbelievable what can build up in your pipes over that amount of time ;)

Soft grease blockages can be problematic to clear. Haven't had to cut one out yet, though.

Yup, the best way to clean out a grease blockage is to not put any grease down in the first place.

Back