Leaky shower/tub diverter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbearit

Reaction score
Hey, I have been trying to fix a leaky diverter. It is a 3 valve faucet and when the diverter is set to shower, a lot of water still comes out of the tub. I have replaced the diverter valve and the seat behind it and it still leaks like I havnt changed anything.

Not sure where to go from here. What should i do?:confused:

Thanks

You might want to pull the stem again and make sure there isn't any build up or dirt in there that could be causing water to get through. If rebuilding it didn't help then you could have to replace it. Also, try rebuilding the supply stems. It might help. I have seen stranger things happen*shrug

Edit: The handle could be loose and not engaging the diverter completely

Ok ill pull it apart again and try to clean it out and rebuild the other stems. I was also thinking, it is pretty old so maybe the threads on the valve body arnt sealing on the seat well. Could I try using pipe dope or teflon tape on the seat?

I was introduced to a small yellow tube of "Rectorseal 5" to seal up problem pipes. Being a liquid paste made with teflon, it is a lubricant allowing pipes to synch down tighter, and also has a sealing ability with its "slow dry-soft seal" approach. You might give this a try!

Ok cool ill give that a try next as a last ditch effort. I really dont want to replace the whole faucet :(.

thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back