Shower faucet help?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benv

Reaction score
I've got a bathtub faucet that's been dripping. I'm trying to fix it while I have some time this weekend. I pulled the handle and unscrewed a small plastic ring I found underneath it, but the next step is a mystery. I can't seem to pull the next small piece of plastic, or the little valve stem, and the large metal ring doesn't seem to unscrew, or at least I got nervous about squeezing it with the pliers before it loosened. It really looks like all one metal piece. Does anyone recognize this or know what I should do? A couple pictures here:
IMG_0617 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks much!

If you unscrew the knurled ring on the base, you will find the nylon piece, the springs and caps which are easily purchased as a complete repair package from any big box hardware store. It will probably be stuck together with calcium, so if you sprayed it down with PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes, it should be easily removeable. If you need to use a pair of pliers on it, remember to wrap with a piece of thick cloth or leather so you don't scratch the chrome.

This looks like a Valley fixture of which I made a previous comment on how to remove the cap.
Delta looks similar

This is a Valley Faucet. Do a search for VA-1 Valley cartrige.
If you want to replace the cartridge you have to be very carefull when trying to remove the round cap nut.
There are 3 small copper tubes between the cartridge housing and the valvebody. Use some WD40 or liquidwrench 1st.
Then use a pipewrench but don't try to force it off. Lock the pipe wrench onto the cap and tap it with another wrench or small hammer.
The small blows while breake it free. Forcing it will twist the tubes.

valley_tubshower_faucet_parts

Latest posts

Back