Is this an appropriate pipe to use in a septic system?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugent

Reaction score
I noticed water collecting on the ground in the front of my septic tank. I did some digging and found the problem. A solid white PVC pipe leads out from the tank and connects to a flexible, compressible, corrugated black pipe.

The black pipe has become compressed and there are leaks in the connection between the two pipes. The black pipe also has some leaks of its own. It seems strange that this black pipe, which is flexible and compressible, would have been used, since the weight of the ground above it would likely compress and break it.

Am I correct that this type of pipe should not have been used? Or is this standard?

Here's a picture: https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApR2DeUpAjhLluZqF87FwkNqGGHkSQ

Septic Pipes.jpg

Looks like a leach line, supposed to leak.

It's not any material I would use but it does the job. It is supposed to be perforated so the water can leach out into the gravel and perk back into the earth.

It should have the appropriate adapter on it. It should not be leaching that close to the tank. Usually your leach field is some distance away.

Looks like a leach line, supposed to leak.

It's not any material I would use but it does the job. It is supposed to be perforated so the water can leach out into the gravel and perk back into the earth.
Thanks, Chris. This piping is before the fluid reaches the distribution box. I thought that perforated pipe was used only after the distribution box when the fluid reaches the drain field. This is pretty close to the tank.

It should have the appropriate adapter on it. It should not be leaching that close to the tank. Usually your leach field is some distance away.
Thanks, Sheplmbr. What kind of adapter should be used? Also, I assume that the black piping (which is compressible and is breaking) should be replaced? If so, do I need to replace it with solid PVC piping?

Thanks, Chris. This piping is before the fluid reaches the distribution box. I thought that perforated pipe was used only after the distribution box when the fluid reaches the drain field. This is pretty close to the tank.

You are correct, it should be solid until after the Dist box. It is also correct it should not be so close to the box.

Thanks, Sheplmbr. What kind of adapter should be used? Also, I assume that the black piping (which is compressible and is breaking) should be replaced? If so, do I need to replace it with solid PVC piping?

Fernco makes a rubber coupling with the groove in it to lock the corrugated pipe in place. Model number 1070. For four inch it would be a 1070-44

Latest posts

Back