Basement Floor Drain Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotZoom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to plumbing but trying to understand so bear with me. Here is my issue.. We have a floor drain in our basement that has been used to drain our AC as well as our washer. The washer would drain into a utility sink which we regulated so that all the water would not drain at once causing the floor drain to back up. It looks to be a 2" line that runs into our main sewer line out to the city. We also have another bathroom sink and shower in the basement and those drain fine.

As of now the water in the floor drain is standing and does not drain at all into the main line. I understand that it should have some water to prevent the gasses from coming into the home, but the water is flush with the floor now. I have used a power snake to no avail and I am able to reach the main stack without any resistance. Could the pee trap be clogged on the floor drain itself? I have also left the service plug out to see if it would drain directly but nothing. I am at a loss. The home was built in the 50's and the floor drain looks to be the same age. Hope someone can help?

Thanks!

If a really good plunge or the drain snake ain't getting i would try a heavy duty drain acid. Remember always use a licensed plumber.

Easy now, killer...this is a place of learning. I'm very uneducated and resemble that remark.

I have cleared waste pipes with acid (as a last resort) that would have been expensive and invasive replacements otherwise. You just have to know what you are doing...

Hi everyone,

I am new to plumbing but trying to understand so bear with me. Here is my issue.. We have a floor drain in our basement that has been used to drain our AC as well as our washer. The washer would drain into a utility sink which we regulated so that all the water would not drain at once causing the floor drain to back up. It looks to be a 2" line that runs into our main sewer line out to the city. We also have another bathroom sink and shower in the basement and those drain fine.

As of now the water in the floor drain is standing and does not drain at all into the main line. I understand that it should have some water to prevent the gasses from coming into the home, but the water is flush with the floor now. I have used a power snake to no avail and I am able to reach the main stack without any resistance. Could the pee trap be clogged on the floor drain itself? I have also left the service plug out to see if it would drain directly but nothing. I am at a loss. The home was built in the 50's and the floor drain looks to be the same age. Hope someone can help?

Thanks!

Sounds as if you may be on a septic and your washer is draining into a drywell or somewhere other than the tank on the property. If on City sewer, in the older homes this too was common practice. Your floor drain may be what we call "daylighted" somewhere out I your yard. Sometimes if you don't know this, grass and stuff can clog it. I had one clog in a house I was renting and just used the balloon type drain king to flush it out.

Latest posts

Back