Fiber Washer for Lavatory

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Submariner

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a leaky Kohler lavatory drain, and need a 1/8" thick by 1-1/4" OD fiber washer for the drain flange to popup tee joint. Something that will squish down when the joint is tightened.

I tried using a square profile o-ring but it pushes out because the rubber is too hard.

Kohler has discontinued the washer. Curious if this is a standard-ish part that might be available elsewhere? I haven't found a place that sells fiber washers by dimensional size. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I'm an engineer, not a plumber.

you could goto your local plumbing supply and ask them. usually they know of someone who specializes in odd ball, old, and discontinued faucets and parts. i would just replace the pop-up, unless it is special in some way.

I'm rebuilding a leaky Kohler lavatory drain, and need a 1/8" thick by 1-1/4" OD fiber washer for the drain flange to popup tee joint. Something that will squish down when the joint is tightened.

Please describe this joint better. Are you talking about a metal to metal joint or a metal to sink joint?

A threaded metal to metal joint, like a pipe joint except the threads aren't tapered. Therefore the joint relies on this idiot gasket to be water tight. Fwiw it's a "Kohler Cygnet Lavatory Faucet model K-6762" Googling the Kohler parts website, shows the gasket to be Kohler part 22350, except it's discontinued. FaucetDirect shows it available, so I ordered a couple and got Moen part 22350 instead (stainless steel sinks), which I'm now trying to return. FD says now the Kohler part isn't available.

A fiber gasket for a lav sink drain? That goes between the rubber gasket and drain nut? Also know as a friction ring? Very common parts for any and all 1 1/4" bathroom sink drain assemblies. LOTP said it right the first time. Go to a plumbing supply house. Take the part with you. Go to Home Depot or any other home improvement store. Take the word "Kohler" out of the equation. You will find what you need. Also, if a manufacturer website says that a part is discontinued, call the customer help line. I recently found a discontinued part that, in reality, there were over 500 in the warehouse.

A fiber gasket for a lav sink drain? That goes between the rubber gasket and drain nut? Also know as a friction ring? Very common parts for any and all 1 1/4" bathroom sink drain assemblies. LOTP said it right the first time. Go to a plumbing supply house. Take the part with you. Go to Home Depot or any other home improvement store. Take the word "Kohler" out of the equation. You will find what you need. Also, if a manufacturer website says that a part is discontinued, call the customer help line. I recently found a discontinued part that, in reality, there were over 500 in the warehouse.

No, it does not go between the rubber gasket and drain nut. The drain flange has has a threaded tail piece. A drain nut and rubber gasket holds that to the sink. The tail piece then threads onto a Tee for the popup. There's a fiber gasket the fits down inside the popup Tee, then the popup Tee threads onto the tail piece.

I've been to several hardware stores and plumbing supply houses. No one has seen anything like it before.

Okay. The tailpiece gasket that sits in the threaded hub, just above where the pop-up lever attaches. It's a shame that you cannot find it. I should think it's a common item as well as all of the other parts to the drain. You may need to replace the whole drain or buy a whole drain assembly to get the part. I think I usually see them in Moens, but the last time I needed rings and gaskets I got them at Lowe's. Sometimes they are plastic, too, but that shouldn't matter.

Back