Hot water line cold and Cold water line hot!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckworx

Reaction score
Last winter I had a waterline freeze and bust during a bad ice storm. Once it thawed out, I cut and replaced it. After doing so all of my fixtures including toilets are reversed. How can I fix this problem????:mad::confused:

It sounds like in an attempt to repair the broken pipe, you hooked hot to cold and cold to hot. Turn off water supply to those pipes and change them back. Is this a serious question?

It was only one waterline that was frozen and fixed. I never unhooked any lines.

Please elaborate more on what is happening, and whether you have a recirculation system. Is it all faucets or just a few? Help us to help you.

The lines that were frozen are the supply's to the washer. After these were repaired I turned my water back on. After a few days I noticed that the kitchen, hall bath supply's including the toilet were reversed. The washer and Masterbath are normal. Water is correct. I just know this has to be a simple fix but cannot for the life of me figure it out. No other water lines have been repaired.

I live in a 6yr old mobile home. Not sure if we have a re circulation system or not. If that helps

How many lines did you repair? Now you are saying, "after these were repaired". It sounds like more than one. 1)Either you crossed the lines when repairing, 2)the hot and cold was always reversed and you are just noticing now, or 3)there is something you are not telling us. Seems odd.

Hot and cold to washer... Guess I didn't specify that.. When I said only one I was referring to 1 location which was the washer area..

There a check valves built into clothes washers. One may have failed. If you don't turn the valves to the clothes washer off this may be the cause of your problem. Just turn off one of the valves feeding your washer and see if that helps.

Where exactly are these check valves located on the washer? Can you send me a picture of what one may look like???

They can be check valves or solenoid valves. Turn off supply valves for the machine and if it solves your problem call someone that is in the appliance repair business.

I attached a drawing to show basic layout of my house.. Hope this helps.. Thought if you knew my layout it would help determine the problem..

image-1684881540.jpg

Did you try turning off one of the washing machine valves like JohnJh20 had suggested? Actually i am a little confused my self and curious how this would even be the problem. Considering the hot and cold water lines are usually the same pressure, why or how would the hot or cold go back up the other line? 60psi of hot water for instance trying to backfeed a cold water pipe which is also 60psi pushing toward eachother seems a little far fetched. Idk.

Last edited:
Did you try turning off one of the washing machine valves like JohnJh20 had suggested? Actually i am a little confused my self and curious how this would even be the problem. Considering the hot and cold water lines are usually the same pressure, why or how would the hot or cold go back up the other line? 60psi of hot water for instance trying to backfeed a cold water pipe which is also 60psi pushing toward eachother seems a little far fetched. Idk.

Think about what your saying. If that were the case then having a cross connection between the hot and cold would have no effect on mixing the hot with the cold. The pressure may be the same in both lines when no water is being used, but if you open a cold water faucet the pressure becomes less in the cold water line then in the hot.

I went under my house last night and traced all my water lines. No other repairs have been made previous to me buying the house. I cannot find any cross connections or anything.. I am wondering if I disconnect the water heater and reconnect if it may release pressure somewhere and start flowing right??????

Again, have you tried turning off one of the washing machine valves as Johnjh had suggested to see if that solves your problem?

Does the hot water ever get fully hot, and is the cold water ever truly cold? If they both just get lukewarm, not fully one way or the other, than there is a cross connection between hot and cold somewhere. If they both get fully hot or cold, just on the wrong side, than the piping to that area is crossed.

Does the hot water ever get fully hot, and is the cold water ever truly cold? If they both just get lukewarm, not fully one way or the other, than there is a cross connection between hot and cold somewhere. If they both get fully hot or cold, just on the wrong side, than the piping to that area is crossed.

He said in an earlier post, that the toilet water is hot

Latest posts

Back