Japanese Movie Thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Neither one, Take a bus or drive yourself
Same sex grope:eek: No Thanks

Ah Crap. I went to HD and forgot my wallet. So I guess I'll watch a movie

Toshiro Mifune is Japan's John Wayne. Mostly B&W subtitled Samurai movies.
One of my favorites was with Lee Marvin in Hell in the Pacific

I have Jury duty this week but they said stay home.
No work today so I've been lurking in the forums all day.
Should I continue to lurk or go watch a movie or Fix a nice dinner for the Wife cuz she's been workin' all day

I loved him in all the Akira Kurosawa movies he was in. Classic Japanese cinema is amazing.

The Seven Samurai changed the way I thought of things, and forced me into a lot of sub-genres I despised in my youth, most notably westerns, my Father watched really crappy ones, over and over, I just couldn't get into it.

Akira Kurosawa movies where awesome.
I loved the way Toshiro M. would move and the Samurai postures.
They were nothing like the Kung-Fu/ Karate movies that the Chinese would make.
I've never been a big book reader but when I was in the Navy and on a long voyage to some where I read the book Shogun by James Clavell.
I was captivated by the Samurai. Reading puts so much more detail into a story than watching a movie.
When The Shogun movie came out I was a little disappointed.
Probably because I had read the book and movie didn't hit the intimate details of the story.

I mentioned Toshiro because recently I had found a bunch of his movies on NETFLEX. Some I have never heard of before.
He has been typecast as a samurai/soilder/warrior but there are some that he played a modern day man, of which I have not seen yet.

I think he was one of the Japanese Officers in the movie "Midway"

Last edited:
Not sure, I would have to look that up.

I understood his role in 7 Samurai better then the role of the others. I seemed to relate more to it.

I am a fan of both Chinese and Japanese action flics, thought you are right in that there are some very noticeable differences.

The Japanese seem to rely more on suspense and intelligence than the attack at all costs Chinese, I think Chan and Yun Fat movies demonstrate that well, they often lose the first few battles only to learn the need to approach it in a different way.

The Samurai sword fights were always so very quick and precise. I just watched one that must have been American Made. The Bushido Blade.
I think it was a low budget take off of the Shogun story.
I love watching Jackie Chan. I recently learned he started at a young age in the theater as an acrobat.

The Samurai sword fights were always so very quick and precise. I just watched one that must have been American Made. The Bushido Blade.
I think it was a low budget take off of the Shogun story.
I love watching Jackie Chan. I recently learned he started at a young age in the theater as an acrobat.

Wiki says American film, Japanese directed. I love Bushido Blade the game, I still have my copy for the Playstation and play it from time to time.

Sammo Hung went to the same school. Another huge name as well, but it currently escapes me.

I think the sword play in older movies is more representative of what sword fighting is, short, and to the point, not a grandiose battle of wills, but the flash of steel, then death.

^ I like this guy! Godzilla I understand completely, but the others I was completely lost!

That's all good, but I'm more of a GODZILLA fan.

I understand the Japanese need for Godzilla, all the way from their Shinto roots, to there obsession with a return to a simpler time free from the west, but I find the majority of Godzilla movies get slow and old quick. Especially ones with Mathew Broderick.

Well, i am a bit late to the party but I just want to mention that I am a huge Kurosawa fan. I saw Ran when i was a kid and it got me interested in him as a filmmaker. Of course, that didn't mean I could find anything else he did until much later, during the mid nineties I managed to collect most of his films in one form or another.

i still enjoy introducing people to his work, since I find almost everyone can appreciate it. Rashomon for the mystery type, Seven Samurai for the western/action lovers, Ikiru for the melancholy.

Damnit, now I have to stay up late and watch Yojimbo or something

I watched Yojimbo a couple months ago on Netflex. The trailer said that A Fistfull of Dollars w/ Clint Eastwood was a remake of the same story.
It had some similarities but The movie Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis was a more accurate remake.

Well, i am a bit late to the party but I just want to mention that I am a huge Kurosawa fan. I saw Ran when i was a kid and it got me interested in him as a filmmaker. Of course, that didn't mean I could find anything else he did until much later, during the mid nineties I managed to collect most of his films in one form or another.

i still enjoy introducing people to his work, since I find almost everyone can appreciate it. Rashomon for the mystery type, Seven Samurai for the western/action lovers, Ikiru for the melancholy.

Damnit, now I have to stay up late and watch Yojimbo or something

Ran is an amazing film. Based on King Lear.

I watched Yojimbo a couple months ago on Netflex. The trailer said that A Fistfull of Dollars w/ Clint Eastwood was a remake of the same story.
It had some similarities but The movie Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis was a more accurate remake.

Yojimbo is one of those movies that broke the mold. Last Man Standing was a good adaptation of it.

Latest posts

Back