Can I drain water and keep gas heat on?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpless_in_MA

Reaction score
I live in MA and am taking a vacation soon. My one bathroom is off the main structure, and the pipe to the toilet frequently freezes. We are getting some extreme cold soon, and they are likely to freeze.

I am thinking of shutting off the water for the house and draining the pipes. Do I also need to shut off the heat and/or water heater? Both are heated with gas.

Thank you so much for reading and any insights you have.

if you turn off the heat. you will need to winterise the house

get some anti freeze. pour a cup in each fixture

toilet
sinks
washer drain
tubs
showers

disconnect clothes washer blow out water line , pour 2 cups of anti freeze in the waher turn on to drain..the stop it
you want the anti freeze in the pump

same thing on dishwasher

fridge disconnect water..blow out

turn on all faucets

blow out the pipes with compressed air

drain water heater

or leave the heat on

You can turn off the gas to the water heater and still leave the heat on. Look for a gas valve on the line going to the water heater itself. You can also turn off the water and leave the gas on to the water heater if its just a week or three vacation. Just dont drain the water heater. No need to. Downside is that you'll be heating the same tank of water everytime it cools down.

NEVER turn the water OFF with the water heater ON. If you turn off your water, turn the water heater valve to "pilot" or "off". It's OK to run the furnace with the water off. If you want the furnace off too, I would suggest pumping RV antifreeze through every pipe and fixture in the house (drains too).

If that water heater starts to leak while you're gone and the water heater is heating, you could have trouble.

Latest posts

Back