Just a Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holyson

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Jacob and im a senior in high school. I am currently in an engineering class and need help proving a problem. My problem is toliets clogging due to forign objects being flushed down. If you can help i would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Jacob Y.

Glad to help you Jacob. First off, make sure you correctly spell toilets and foreign. That will certainly help your grade! :)

Clogs (or blockages) occur for numerous reasons. Many occur because hair can snag the slight imperfections where the plumbing is connected, which will compound itself as other sewage passes through it.

Other blockages occur similar to the entrance to a business. The doors can easily handle one person at a time, but when 10 people try to enter the door at the same time, the doorway will just be too small and everyone gets backed up.

Another reason blockages occur (especially kitchen sinks) is when hot grease is poured into a cold sink. It solidifies immediately, causing blockages.

Lastly, many sewer pipes are penetrated by roots from bushes and trees, which are searching for a water source. Once the root enters the pipe, they get bigger to carry more water and nutrients and will eventually completely block the line.

I hope these help a bit, and I am sure many professionals here will provide you more reasons for blockages.

Also keep in mind that is most common for the flushed item to become lodged at an elbow or where the pipe changes diameter.

A great place to show you my back yard Art.:D

This is a cut away view of a typical toilet. But not all toilet are the same.
This in particular was a problem. The waste repeatedly got stuck in the small flat area just before it reached the outlet hole Some newer designs have eliminated the flat spot and constructed the passage way to have a more direct and smoother path to the outlet.

021 (1024x768).jpg

That is awsome. How did you cut the whole thing in half without cracking/shattering it?

Every time I see that toilet I think, "Man, that is half-a$$ed!"

imagesqtbnANd9GcRXDXlWmEk1J_JRJXHnFJvdUrZnyPNrldcwrBl9I-kxj71qBI8IEQ.jpg
hehe.gif

Boooooooo.....lol:D
happy-smiley-8769.gif

Latest posts

Back