Warm not hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYmnmom

Reaction score
I am unable to get hot water out of all of the faucets in my house except for the kitchen sink. That faucet is closest to the hot water heater and produces hot water. The other sinks, showers, will only put out warm water when set fully to hot. Thought it was a bad element and replaced both, but it did not resolve the issue. Any ideas? Could this be a dip tube issue?

Could a failed cartridge affect the water temp. coming from other faucets, or only the faucet it is installed in?

Also, I have a circulation pump connected to the hot water heater that can be unplugged. If the valve on the pump is the problem would unplugging resolve the issue? I know I would have to let the water run longer to get hot water out of further away faucets.

A single handle cartridge can allow cold water to mix with hot water to all of the other fixtures in the house. If the check valve on the recirculating system is bad, you would have to shut off valves on the recirc line to resolve the problem. Better yet, have the check valve replaced.

I determined by Grundfos circulation pump needed to be replaced. I found a different Grundfos model to replace it with that has a check valve in it. The new pump has an arrow for direction of flow and the old pump did not. How do I know which way to put the arrow? Should it point away from the hot water heater or towards it?

I have never seen a circulator pump with a check valve built in. The arrow is just for the direction of flow. You also need a check valve.

The arrow denotes flow because the impeller will only produce flow one way therefore making it somewhat of a built in check valve. My opinion arrow should point towards tank to constantly force water thru system.

The arrow denotes flow because the impeller will only produce flow one way therefore making it somewhat of a built in check valve. My opinion arrow should point towards tank to constantly force water thru system.

Do you have any Y type adapters anywhere. Cross connection is a great guess. Where on tank is pump? At bottom where OEM boiler drain would. Be

There is no way that the impeller acts as a check valve.

Have u ever taken one apart and looked at it? It has an arrow for a reason. It WILL NOT push water the opposite way, otherwise y bother with the arrow? I have taken one apart and can tell you the shape of the impeller will only allow water one way. It is more efficent that way

If u installed one on a boiler supply zone facing toward the boiler would that zone get heat?

Have u ever taken one apart and looked at it? It has an arrow for a reason. It WILL NOT push water the opposite way, otherwise y bother with the arrow? I have taken one apart and can tell you the shape of the impeller will only allow water one way. It is more efficent that way

You stated it acts as a check valve that is not correct. It will only move water in the direction the arrow is pointing but that in no way makes it a check valve.

You stated it acts as a check valve that is not correct. It will only move water in the direction the arrow is pointing but that in no way makes it a check valve.

If you look back you'll see I said sort of. You just said it will only move water one way. U answered neither of my questions there is NO way enough if any water could get past the impeller the opposite way.

I have rebuilt several. Have you? No it is not a check valve. U r correct but in my opinion acts as one due

To its design. That is why check valves go on one side of a boiler and pumps on the other because they r not neccesary with a pump like that

I have run into two separate instances where a bad check valve on a hydronic heating system circulator allowed cold water to backfeed into the hot water piping when hot was turned on at a fixture. In a hot water recirculating or hydronic heating system, I believe a check valve is a necessity.

I have run into two separate instances where a bad check valve on a hydronic heating system circulator allowed cold water to backfeed into the hot water piping when hot was turned on at a fixture. In a hot water recirculating or hydronic heating system, I believe a check valve is a necessity.

But if there is one built into the circ and it fails u would have to replace it anyway in my opinion it would be redundant but I guess that's y some put circ on return some on supply. Everyone has their own way I guess.

Latest posts

Back