Loud water pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo

Reaction score
Was looking for any ideas on what is going on here. I am assuming it's the motor bearings. Is there anything else it could be? There is a link to a video below.

http://tinypic.com/r/2lsblmx/8

Last edited:
Bearings in motors have a fail date built in before you even purchase it. They are sealed bearings, not grease-able. So when the number of hours built in is up, you need a new one. It is planned that way. About $5 more in manufacturing would make that pump last forever, and nobody wants that. :)

A 20,000 hour bearing will last about 2 years running 24/7, and about 7 years with average use. I have one that I replaced the bearings 3 times in 30 years. Everything else still works well. The life of the bearings is the limiting factor.

If you have a local motor shop, they can probably change the bearings for around 100.00$. At least that's what we charge for a bearing job on a jet or pool pump motor.

The other thing I noticed is how long it was taking to build pressure. Did you leave water running somewhere?

Yes, I left a faucet running to get the pump started.

So if I were to take the housing apart and remove the motor to take it to a shop for a bearing job, would it be fairly easy to put back together and would I need to replace any other parts? The pump is fairly old and I don't know if they make parts for it anymore.

Thanks for your help.

I haven't sold Red Jacket in a long time, but I think they are still making the quick set jet. All you need to do is remove the four bolts (not the motor bolts) that hold the two pump halves together, pry them apart, unhook the wires and take the whole thing to the motor shop. They will separate the motor from the seal plate, put in new bearings and reassemble it for you. You will probably get a new shaft seal and you might need an O-ring for the two halves if the old one gets damaged. If it is stretched out, you can cut it and crazy glue it back together.

Is it difficult to put in new bearings on your own?

I wouldn't recommend it. And if you don't have the right tools, it can be impossible.

Back