pump size

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trollcop

Reaction score
I am placing another house on my property for my son and his family and I plane to utilize my existing well for both houses. The new house is approximately 250 yards from the well head and my house is 30' from the well. What size pump and psi tank will I need? Also, I plan to utilize a 1 1/2 inch water supply to the new house, will that be sufficient?

What kind of pump do you have now? Jet or Submersible? Do you know how much the pump you now have puts out at "say" 40 psi? At 10 gallons per minute you will only have 2.5 lbs of friction loss with SCH 40 PVC, so that's not a problem.

Just so you know, you don't need another tank at the new house. The existing one is all you need as long as it's large enough so the pump won't cycle too much.

1/2 horse above ground from Lowes. I have clue as to the out put. I have about a 20 gal psi tank. I want to make sure the water demand will be at a good psi a quantity 250 yards away from the pump. The wife is not happy none of us will be happy!!

I don't think you will be at all happy with a 1/2hp pump especially from Lowes.

You are going to need a one horse at least. If you want to buy a good pump from me, I can trick up the jet so it will make more pressure than an average one hp pump.

See these: Jet Pumps

so far its been ok but it aint no hot rod. I will be needing something better for sure. Will the 1 hp be enough and how large a tank will be required. Your prices look good to me. When I get the house going I will get with you.

If you control your pump with a Cycle Stop Valve you won't need a larger tank. You can use as large a pump as you like and the CSV will make it work like a small pump when you are not using much water.

Last edited by a moderator:
so far its been ok but it aint no hot rod. I will be needing something better for sure. Will the 1 hp be enough and how large a tank will be required. Your prices look good to me. When I get the house going I will get with you.

That's great, I will help you select the right pump for the job. And like Valveman said a CSV will make things work smoothly. Like I said, I can put a smaller venturi in the jet to make more pressure and with the CSV you should all have good pressure.

Latest posts

Back