Deep Well No water or pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithN

Reaction score
I have a Submersible Deep Well Pump down between 250-300ft. Yesterday all water stopped in the house so I did my best to troubleshoot possible issues. Given I had power to the top of the well I assumed the pump was bad so I replaced it with a 1hp pump, wired it up and nothing happened. I then replaced the Pressure Switch and still nothing happened. I checked the pressure tank and it had no psi at all so I pumped it up to 37psi to meet the new 40/60 switch. I still have nothing and power seems to be good all the way to the pump but I am lost...PLEASE HELP!

How did you test the voltage? Each wire to ground getting 115 volts; or both wires at the same time getting 230 volts?

You actually changed out a pump by yourself that was 250' in the hole??? You must be a strong dude.

Is this pump a two or three wire? Do you see a control box near the pressure switch somewhere? A three wire that's not over ten years old should have 4 actual wires and the two wire should have 3 wires. "I know it makes little sense, but that's how it is"

It is a 2 wire system and both are getting 122 volts per voltmeter (no control box required). I just pulled and replaced the pump a second time. Made sure all connections are good and wrapped/heat shrinked, checked the entire length of wire for defects, cut and made all new clean connections. Replaced the switch box with a 40/60, checked the pressure tank which is sitting at 37psi. After all of this (a second time) and still nothing happening, no water! Power is all the way out to the pump so I just don't understand what the problem could be.

120 volts on each leg doesn't mean you are getting 240 volts between the two legs. I think you still don't have 240 volts to the pump. 2 wire pumps are pretty simple. You give them the voltage they need and they pump water.

Latest posts

Back