recessed clean out covers!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirienzojoe

Reaction score
recessed clean out covers have always been a problem for me. Basin wrenches don't ever get a good enough grip and or leverage to remove the covers. what is the best tool to use to remove clean out covers that are recessed in the floor 3+ inches deep

I have one its not good for anything below a few inches recessed into the floor. Also cant seem to get enough leverage on the tool to turn the cap out

If I can't remove them with my tool , I proceed to burst them out with a hammer & chisel.
There are other tools on the market , but this is my method.

yeah we all know you can chisel a cover off i was asking about any other tools out there that will make it easy

I got 12" square steel bars the same size as the clean out. 3/8" through 1 1/2" just cut with a sawzall and grind off the burrs they fit into the cleanout and they're durable for wrenching.

Last edited:
thats not such a bad idea but thats only going to work for the square caps that wont help with the older hexigon caps and or the inverted caps

Back