Gas meter tie in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a project that has been going on for awhile. There's two separate gas systems here, one to service the generator and exterior lighting, and another to service the future residence. The gas piping is only part of the project, but I thought that this particular section was especially photogenic.

Palladio gas meter piping 1.jpg

Palladio gas meter piping 2.jpg

Palladio gas meter piping 3.jpg

Palladio gas meter piping 4.jpg

Palladio gas meter piping 5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Is galvanized pretty typical? I've never used it up here, only saw it in service for water and drainage in old homes. We pretty well only use black iron with the black lacquer finish

I think technically it should however whenever I've put in gas lines we've always used brass ball valves with black iron piping which should be the same idea. Good point though, I've never had an issue or came across that before.

I think it would effect water pipe more but in theory i guess it could rot it out quicker. They don't make a Galv gas valve do they?

Not that I've seen, I've only saw brass ones but you never know haha. Electrolysis could happen technically according to the nobility of the metals but they do claim brass shouldn't be subject to it. I think over a period of time it could happen no doubt. And yeah water lines I've saw brass FIPs and galvanized have electrolysis

I know with water flowing through the lines, electrolysis is an issue. To the best of my knowledge, a closed system such as a heating system does not really suffer from that as much as an open system that always has fresh water introduced to it.

So considering that this is a gas system, I am not concerned with electrolysis. It is common practice to use brass valves on gas systems, either with black steel or galvanized.

Yeah the flow on the gas line probably wouldn't be enough to cause electrolysis, but the water lines make sense.

In Massachusetts it is illegal to use galvanized fittings or pipe in natural gas systems
JK

Yeah, that seems to be a common restriction, I have heard that a lot from plumbers in other areas of the US and Canada.

However, the supply house effed up and sent a black iron reducing coupling. Considering that I was going to paint it anyway, I installed it. The inspector made me change it out.

The only thing that I would like to see is unions on both sides of the regulator makes for easier servicing.....nice looking job though.....we don't use galvanised in our gas systems here at all

Latest posts

Back