TV above fireplace.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
So today I converted my fireplace back to wood burning from gas, we just didn't use it because I don't want to pay a gas bill for fire. My concern is that my TV is mounted on my fireplace about 3-4 feet above the opening, do you think it will get to hot?

I did the same last year and have had a few roaring "gas" fires with no problems. My TV is on a pull out, pivoting bracket, so it really sticks out. I wish I could use a thinline type, making it closer to the brick, because I believe it would be cooler back there.

1310689265876.jpg

1310689279155.jpg

1310689290781.jpg

1310757401567.jpg

1310757431997.jpg

1310771103262.jpg

1311205096336.jpg

Are your wires run through the fireplace air gap? If so have you had any problems with anything? Mine is mounted similar to yours. I worry about too much heat on the wires in the air gap and then heat from the fire to the tv itself, I also have no mantel below it to deflect the heat. I don't know how hot it really get but don't want to waste a tv finding out. I have had a few gas fires with this setup but would like to start burning wood more often.

Since I built the fireplace, I knew exactly what I was getting into behind the bricks. It is a pre-fab firebox with a double lines flue leading to the roof. The double lining stops much of the heat, and hasn't caused me any problems. Of course, I secured the HDMI cables, the speaker wires, and Romex tightly away from the flue just to be sure. Again, I would prefer the TV was tighter to the brick, but you can see the sofa configuration where the TV has to bend about 40 degrees to get optimum viewing from all of the seats.

I think if it's drafting properly it shouldn't be a problem unless your fires are huge.

I'd try it without the TV if you can and hold your hand up there and see how warm it is.

I'm not sure i like the wires in the air gap unless that's double wall chimney pipe...

It is a double wall shimney which is code here for in the wall. I am gonna have a fire in a bit. I put a thermometer in the wall and one below the TV just to see how hot it gets. The fireplace is double sided and has glass doors so if it is getting to hot under the TV I can open the other side which is in my kitchen and close this side. I will let you know how it goes.

Nice intermission. Had a fire, don't like that it is open both sides and being as small as it is smoke came in so back to gas it is.

Chris, when I installed gas logs a couple years ago, it was necessary to have a certified fireplace installer put the logs into my insert. It was free so I didn't complain at all. What he told me is with the fireplace inserts like mine is, it is important to start the flue heat up the tube by burning a piece of paper before the fire gets hot, and this will make the draw good enough to suction all the smoke out the chimney. I thought it was nonsense, but he showed me how it actually works.

Thats how we start fires in the mountains too, it gets the vacuum going to take the smoke out.

Back