Reverse Osmosis with jetpump. Rapid on and off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianC

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I have a jetpump in my place and I just installed a GE reverse osmosis water system. I wasn't able to find any leaks when I installed it but now I am having a problem. I will from time to time get a constant on and off state happening with my pump. By that I mean that within the space of about 5 seconds it will turn on, off, on, off, on, and so on. When I turn off the water to the osmosis system it doesn't happen so I'm pretty sure that the osmosis system is the problem.
Has anyone experienced this before? I just have to leave it shut off until I can figure out why this is happening. Many thanks for advice.

If you have a standard bladder tank on your well, the pump should not cut on and off that rapidly under any circumstance. That makes me think that your bladder tank is bad.

It is not unknown for a reverse osmosis system to malfunction and constantly backwash to the drain. This could cause the pump to cycle on and off, but like I mentioned, a bladder tank system should not cycle nearly as quickly as you are describing.

Is this jet pump a booster pump or is it your well pump? If it's your well pump, like Phish said, your Bladder tank is probably bad. This condition can cause your motor to burn up way before it's time.

It might be that you just have a little too much air in the tank. If your pressure switch is turning the pump on/off at 40/60, make sure you don't have more than about 35 PSI air in the tank when it is empty of water.

Latest posts

Back