Water constantly running in toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihavezippers

Reaction score
I have a water running in my toilet that I can't seem to identify the problem. The flush valve/flapper appear to be tight with no leaking (water in the tank keeps at constant level), but water does appear to be leaking from the float/float adjustment mechanism. After a flush, no water flows from the fill tube to the overflow tube which doesn't seem normal. There is no change in behavior by turning the water valve at the base of the toilet at full or nearly off. A couple things which may/may not be relevant clues. The toilet behaves as if it is clogged (although I don't think it is, I plunged it relentlessly)---the water in the bowl stays at a low level unless I refill the tank with a bucket, and flushes result in the water coming pretty high to the top of the bowl, and then taking longer than usual to flush, only to end in the clogged-toilet gurgle and low water level post-flush. Additionally, after letting the toilet sit with a tank I filled by dumping buckets of water in (the only way to get the running water to stop) for several hours, there will be dirt (or something else) residue at the bottom of the bowl---this residue is not there at first obviously.

Thanks---I'm hoping this is something I can fix myself, but I've played with all the screws/valves, and studied my one working toilet, and am not getting it.

Well, that was a very reckless response.

Your toilet may have a clog in the trap or in the drain below the flange. That is what is causing your toilet to siphon. The fill valve also seems to be having some trouble.
If you are not a DIYer and not familiar with drain snakes, pulling and resetting toilets, etc. call a plumber to clear the toilet/drain and do a dye test on your toilet tank with a dye tab as well as change the fill valve.

home depot sells a toilet auger made by rigid tools, you may be able to clear the blockage in the trap with that. i almost never use a plunger anymore. if you cant clear it with the auger its time to pull the toilet and see if you can reverse auger it.

I did a job with exactly the same symptoms a few years back..

When I pulled the pan off the floor , there was a toilet freshener wedged in the S trap.
(one of those things that hangs on the rim)

Had I known that , I could have reached it with a hand from the front of the pan.

Might we worth a look at ...

The toilet appeared to be half blocked when flushed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back