Grundfos Pump install location right?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct. The ones I saw mounted to the top had the return loop going into the drain valve. Which is why I wasn't sure if mine should go there even though my pump and setup is different. Since my heaters are different sizes and ratings I didn't go with parallel install. I thought with the pump teeing into output of the first heater it would work the 2nd heater a little more since the first heater is doing most of the work. I was concerned that water from the loop could some how make it back into the first heater but didn't think it could because the pressure from the output on the first heater would be more then the water from the return loop. Even though I am not a plumber I am capable of doing just about anything but my knowledge is limited I figured it was best to ask questions and make sure that I understand how the setup should work. Thank you. Everyone has been alot I help.

The recerc. pump is designed to pull water not push it. So the water will be drawn from the hot water system to the pump creating a negative cerculating pressure in the second tank drawing the water from the pump into it. you will get some heat distribution but nothing that is going to make a difference.

I should have looked at the picture again and I would have noticed the difference in size heaters. your right I would not recomend plumbing them in parallel. I have had a large whole house hot system cerculated through a 2.5 gal electric water heater and hold a good temperature. your system will work just fine. I'd start focusing your time on insulating hot and cold water lines throughout the whole house. For efficiency.

cold water lines are more often insulated than hot due to the line sweating and forming condensate that will cause mold issues.
as the room temp will always be 70 ish ( ideal ) and the cold water temperatures will be much lower.

:)

cold water lines are more often insulated than hot due to the line sweating and forming condensate that will cause mold issues.

as the room temp will always be 70 ish ( ideal ) and the cold water temperatures will be much lower.

:)

... aha ...

I now understand. Will CPVC sweat as easily as copper supply?

no plastics dont conduct as much as copper and wont sweat as much. they can still sweat though especially if you live in a climate with very warm temperatures.

Back