corner toilet advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvmedic

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the board and this is my fist post.

I just bought an old house with a very cramped toliet, to the right facing the toilet is roughly 10" to the wall from center of drain.

I've been considering my options and think a corner toilet would be my best bet.

So does anyone have any experience with corner toilets? Will they do a good job and what would be a good one to go with?

Thanks, Jeff

Yes there about, from the rear the rough in is 12", though to the left it is around 10" don't remember the exact measurement.

My main concern is of the few corner toilets available, are they any good? Also which would be best?

The problem I'm having is where the current toilet sits. Looking at the toilet the closet flang is very close to the floor joist just left of it.

I could move it to the left between the next two joists, then I would have to move the HVAC vent and would be sitting close to the bathtub.

John, I understand what you are saying. Though if doing the rough in from the corner angled, there will be enough room for the rough in.

Jeff

I've saw one installed in my entire life. Eljer was the brand and they are mediocre, flush is decent but not exceptional. I'm thinking you're going to limited on brands so if I had to put an Eljer in I would.

Thanks stevemachine, the Eljer corner toilet has been discontinued though. I might have to come up with another plan. The dimensions I have to work with are
87.5" L X 73.25" W.

Jeff

I've attached a crude drawing I did in paint. The rectangle between the toilet and the tub is the HVAC register. The joist runs from behind the toilet to the door, the tub wall that is on the entry door side is where the faucet and drain is.

Jeff

Bathroom.jpg

The HVAC is your problem. If that's a standard tub you should have 43" between the tub and the wall to center the toilet in. Which is more than adequate. If it were mine I would be moving the HVAC and centering the toilet in the 43" space.

Thanks John, the tub is standard. If I move the register and I have thought about that, I would have to move it close to the entry. Then move the toilet closer to the tub, as it is now the closet flange is within about an inch of the joist on the tub side. So if I move the HVAC and move the toilet over in between the next joist, would it be to close to the tub? Also the drain for the toilet is straight down into the main drain where it is now sitting, it goes all the way to the basement floor then exits the house.

Jeff

Thanks, I'll have to get some measurements maybe tomorrow. I'll also see if there is enough room to rotate it 90 degrees and move the flange. The one floor joist is the main problem. I've talked with a coworker who is a carpenter, about cutting that joist and framing an opening like for a stair well just on a smaller scale. He said he wouldn't advise that because how they ran the 1.25" subfloor on an angle in those old houses. He thinks that section of floor would sag without vertical support from the basement.

Would that be an acceptable distance between the bowl and the tub? I just wonder if that's enough room without having to step over the toilet to use it.

Jeff

Well I'll do some measuring tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Though that's the reason I was thinking of a corner toilet, I'm not sure if there would be enough room to angle a standard toilet with a narrow flush tank or not. If I could and keep it in between the same joists, I think that would give me at least then15" needed on either side and room to the front without being to intrusive.

As far as the normal bathroom dimensions, this is an old house. It is in good shape but I have no idea when it was built.

I had also concidered rotating the tub 90 digrees and putting it on the outside wall where the toilet now sits. Then moving the toilet to where the linen closet is now, but the toilet sits right under a window currently.

Well I did some more measuring and thinking. I think I'm going to go with a KOHLER Cimarron and move it over to the next joist where the HVAC is now, that should provide plenty of room.

Jeff

So after looking at some reviews, which would be better a Toto Drake or the Kohler Cimarron? I like the narrow tank on the Cimarron but the flush might be better on the Drake, though I'm not sure.

Jeff

I don't have any personal experience with Toto toilets, but many plumbers I have talked to seem to really like them, and prefer to install them above all other toilets

I have installed several of the Cimarron's, and I can say that they have a very good flush. I would not hesitate to install one either for personal use or for a customer.

Latest posts

Back