Correctly plumbing my kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbwood

Reaction score
Hello All! Thanks in advance for helping this DIYer out. I’m sure this is beyond basic knowledge but in all my research and searching through the forum I just want to make sure I get this write on my 2nd (or 3rd, 4th?) attempt.

We live in a 50 year old house and the previous owner was a good handyman. We redid our kitchen and went from a single bowl sink to double. The plumbing was already a little wonky and then I went ahead and changed to a 50/50 bowl to complicate matters. I installed the disposal on the left side and then threw in some Home Depot sink kit PVS pieces to connect everything into the already plumber drain. My problem is that I knew it was temporary and not exactly watertight. I also created this embarrassingly huge p trap.

As a novice I’m not really in-tune with the proper physics of drainage and not only is it leaking a bit (as expected), but it also doesn’t drain very well. I’m sure this is a product of the amount of vertical the water has to rise on the back end. There’s just not enough weight/gravity before the trap to push it so it’s running back into the dishwasher hose.

Using the photos can anyone offer suggestions on how to do this right? I’m thinking with properly fitter and adhered PVS this time instead of screwed on as I did before (unless that’s ok). Not sure where I should saw off/separate the permanently placed PVC along the back wall behind the last couple of elbows.

Thanks again for any thoughts!

Brandon

Note the last two photos were uploaded sideways...

270F0D6A-CD17-4F5A-A509-2BE9A35BA24F.jpg

AD9FFF67-95FB-4557-8A1A-4701F9331DD8.jpg

4DC804A1-216B-4440-BDD9-7C5F6A44B14B.jpg

53DCBFFB-E879-42ED-BCDE-BB60F6511592.jpg

A19F4DFD-3677-4318-AB82-EB859FF9246A.jpg

399BAB86-1BBC-42EC-9D15-FE1F501F568E.jpg

Last edited:
I tell you what sometimes when I look at these pictures and I see stuff like this I just have to sit back and laugh.

Everything in this picture is incorrect you said you already had a plumber in that he was a little wonky? But what I'm looking at in these pictures is wonky enough for me. Water does not travel vertically your trap is on backwards along with that 12 inch Riser piece coming off the bottom of the Trap you creating an S trap which is illegal also the fitting going into your wall that has to clean out on it is the wrong fitting. And the reason why water is backing up into your dishwasher hose besides from everything that I just said is wrong your dishwasher hose needs to be attached to the top most part underneath your cabinet to prevent water from backing up into it/ATTACH]

View attachment 20171029_090810.png

Last edited:
what in the hell. People that say im a plumber and do stuff like this should not live in a house but under a bridge they don’t deserve to have plumbing. just so u know water does not go up hill a s trap does not work ever

Believe me. I tried to be politically correct when I said I didn’t have great knowledge of the physics behind plumbing/drainage. Common sense told me there was no way water could get there [emoji848]🤦🏻*♂️. Thought I’d post to make sure I wasn’t crazy. Time to bring in a professional and have it done right.

Don't feel to bad. You're not the first.

1st & 2nd are some parts to get.\

2nd is using a street santee to gain and extra inch.

Cut off the tee with cleanout and replace it with a wye. you have room.

DSC01613.jpg

020.jpg

drain disposal.jpg

images565CARV3.jpg

imagesJ26TCSZO.jpg

imagesWSMW23CO.jpg

Thank you phishfood for making me realize Mr_David was posting nightmare pictures and not examples of his own work...

Thank you phishfood for making me realize Mr_David was posting nightmare pictures and not examples of his own work...

Dat some of my best work. Takes a lot of imagination to come up with those master pieces. And a few trips to the big store. Those guys helped me pick out the right stuff for the job.;)

Reactions: SHR
Back