Phisfood

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering the same thing. Hope you're safe.

My dad is there, he will probably blow away in a few days. Using every excuse in the book to stay. Has to work, will get fired if he leaves(he doesn't need the job, he is retired), can't afford a hotel(another excuse), wants to stay with the house(Don't worry it will go wherever you go), We are in Jacksonville and hurricanes go around us here(Good luck with that). I tried to help, I offered him a plane ticket and a place to stay and to pay for any hotels and fuel and whatever it cost out of pocket but its still excuses.

Been running a bit crazy the last few days, trying to get some jobs done, yesterday afternoon spent trying to get generators running. We have friends staying with us who left South Florida to try to get away from the worst of the storm.

Latest track has it going up the west coast of the state, instead of straight up the center. So we should be outside of the hurricane force area, if that is the case.

Was just watching the storm report on TV and hoped you are out of harms way. Be safe.

Chris hope your dad is okay as well. In a couple days he will tell you, " I told you I'd be Okay"

So, it looks like Irma has downgraded to category 2 (but is still a hurricane) and is pounding the west side of Florida-- Looks to be over Cape Coral.

My dad's area will be hit about 10am tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

from what I saw a few days ago they said 135+ MPH winds.
last night they said they are about 65+ with only maybe 11" of rain.
Big dif from the 50" of rain that dropped in Texas. I was at first thinking maybe cars, cows and sharks flying through the air. It's still bad , just not as bad as they predicted.

I saw that Irma has been downgraded to a tropical storm now. I'm sure it will still do some damage, but at least it's not category 4 anymore. Unfortunately, it looks like category 4 hurricane Jose is on the way. Not sure if it will hit Florida though. Feel sorry for the people still trying to recover from Irma who got slammed again.

Just got power back on an hour or so ago.

Wouldn't you know it, it was about 10 minutes after I got the brand new 7500 watt generator wired in and running? :D

Have you heard from your Dad, Chris?

Our power came back yesterday morning here in the Tampa area. The storm took a turn toward Orlando and I guess where Chris's dad is the biggest threat was water not wind.

I can say one thing for sure. The older you get the scarier these Hurricanes get. All the news teams kept saying it was going NW when you could see in their Radar that it was going due north. Then somewhere above Ft. Myers it took a turn to the north east. It was still a Cat 2 at that time.

Phish, you are near Orlando aren't you? How did you make out?

Glad to see the FL guys posting that power is back on. My daughter in Ft. Myers did not have power last evening, but running house on a whole home generator (son-in-law sells and installs whole house generators. ) They started getting mail yesterday, too.

Glad to see the FL guys posting that power is back on. My daughter in Ft. Myers did not have power last evening, but running house on a whole home generator (son-in-law sells and installs whole house generators. ) They started getting mail yesterday, too.

Hopefully she didn't have much of a wind event. I understand the storm made a right turn near Ft Myers and started falling apart.

Our power came back yesterday morning here in the Tampa area. The storm took a turn toward Orlando and I guess where Chris's dad is the biggest threat was water not wind.

I can say one thing for sure. The older you get the scarier these Hurricanes get. All the news teams kept saying it was going NW when you could see in their Radar that it was going due north. Then somewhere above Ft. Myers it took a turn to the north east. It was still a Cat 2 at that time.

Phish, you are near Orlando aren't you? How did you make out?

More wind than rain, but still, the wind was not all THAT bad. Due to friends and family taking up bed space in the house, and having a friend and her daughter sleeping inside of my little shop, I slept in the back of my box truck that was backed in under the front roof over of my shop. It definitely did shake the truck, but nothing to make me think that it was going to rip roofs off.

We did loose some tree branches, leaf and twig litter everywhere, mild flooding in some of the lower areas. Haven't been in the direction of the St. John's River yet to see how high it is.

I think they said something about how most of the deaths from hurricanes are usually from water rather than from wind.

I'm glad you guys made it through and are OK.

Chris, I don't know why, but for some reason your father's reaction reminded me of a song we had to learn for chorus class back in 4th grade-- about an old man from Arkansas and "though his roof tree leaked like a waterfall, that didn't seem to bother the man at all" and "the cabin was afloat and his feet were wet, but still the old man didn't seem to fret". As the song progresses a traveler is trying to tell him he should fix his roof and the old man says "I couldn't mend it now it's a rainy day" so the traveler recommends he fix it "on a day that is fair and bright" and the old man (who has been playing his fiddle the entire time) says "My cabin doesn't leak when it doesn't rain".
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtiKZM2J_Y[/ame]

Latest posts

Back