What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure seems like poisoning to me. Most vets will send and animal out for a full necropsy, but they are pricy. It cost my neighbor about $1,000 to determine his dog's cause of death, and it came back inconclusive.

I'm sorry to hear about all that is going on. Do you think that gal that you've had problems with is involved? I would recommend looking around for containers of radiator fluid, normally a bright green color, in containers around your house. It is sweet smelling and kills thousands of animals yearly. Also look around for cunks of meat, that could have been poisoned. If so, notify police immediately since this would be a high grade felony.

I don't think it was the bug spray unless they dump a puddle full. Sounds like poisoning of some sort. Don't know if you have snakes but might want to look into any bite marks

The vet just called. He finished the external exam and there were no signs of trauma or anything to indicate cause of death. He's going to send off samples of her skin and stomach contents to see if it could be poison. He says it sounds like poisoning and asked if it would be unusual for someone to come out here to put out poison.

The girl we had problems with has probably fled to Texas by now and we haven't had any problems with the neighbors in a long time.

There are hunters out in the area, but I haven't seen many of them with this weather and the timber company people haven't been around.

My friends dogs in town were deliberately poisoned with antifreeze (it was in their blood results) and the police found the bowl of antifreeze and dog food in the creep's yard but they never did anything about it. The symptoms for their dogs were different-- they vomited and had tremors. Tina just had heavy breathing and was lying still for the most part and then would start barking in distress and stretching her legs and kicking a little. The other dogs were also able to get up and move around until the tremors overtook them, but Tina was completely limp and unable to move voluntarily.

:( Horrible news. My biggest pet peeve in the world is animal abuse

Yeah-- and back in April someone poisoned my friend's dogs (but they live very far away from me and the poisoner doesn't know who I am or where I live-- probably doesn't know I exist). Police found all the evidence but so far he hasn't been arrested. I'm trying to figure out who I have to call to light a fire under their behinds to get them to do something about it before he kills more animals (if he hasn't already). His daughter bragged about how he would put out dog food with rat poison in it-- so this guy actually goes and buys dog food and an animal trap just so he can murder people's pets. One of my friends used to have to repeatedly go over to the guy's trailer and release dogs he had trapped-- he would apparently torture and kill them, but he never actually got caught doing it. It would all be considered hearsay.

I don't use weed killer or rat poison and I don't spray insecticides. The only poisons I could think of would come from AC leak or something leaking from a vehicle or someone putting poison in the area. I'm hoping none of my other pets will be affected-- but I'm trying to keep my oldest surviving dog inside for the time being. It's crappy weather so most of the cats are inside.

Still haven't heard back from the vet on results.

I've been helping my friends move in to a "new" house that is in bad shape. First day got the carpet pulled out and found some drug paraphernalia that they threw out. Former tenant was a drug user and left a bunch of stuff behind. They were cleaning out a dresser and found some syringes and heroin. They were wearing gloves and carefully wrapped that stuff up and threw it in the trash. Discovered the floor joists in the bathroom were rotted so had to fix that and get new subfloor set in. I was helping with getting the toilet in today. Toilet bolts fell over while they were setting the toilet and the wax ring fell apart so I ran and got a new one and some washers. Had them set the washers in to the broken wax (which I told them to jam in to the grooves the bolts sat in on the flange). 2nd attempt worked. Next they are getting a shower someone is donating and we can see about where to put it and how to do the plumbing.

Right now toilet is very close to the wall right up against the exterior wall with lav waaay too close. Water heater is just outside the wall. It was in a box but it fell apart. Old shower was in a corner of the room where the ceiling slopes down to only 6'. I'm trying to convince him to move it to the opposite corner (with higher ceiling) and I will help him figure out how to vent it and stuff. I also am trying to get him to move the lav to the opposite wall, reduce the size of the window and put in a wall vent/fan to get rid of moisture. He wanted to completely get rid of the window. I've offered to buy him the plumbing supplies he needs to do the vents, trap arms, and drains if he moves things.

Tomorrow we work on the shower.

Had what we thought was a rat chattering at us yesterday but turned out it was a raccoon. It stole a pen and went in to the kitchen. My friend went in there, saw the raccoon with the pen, walked away and opened the front door. Raccoon walked out with the pen.

My friend has his plumbing roughed in based on a rough sketch I gave him. I hope it's ok. He's using an AAV for now for the sink and shower. Toilet has a very large vent pipe going through the roof. He couldn't run the vent in the wall for some reason and it was too long of a run from the drain to the toilet's vent.

He has some copper pipes with no shutoffs hooked to the old lav and he's trying to figure out how to cap them off and remove the old sink since he has a new vanity/lav on the opposite wall. The new shower had to go across the room as well because the ceiling was too low where the old one was. I got him a nice double showerhead, he's got the PEX roughed in for water. Vanity is in place, mirror moved over top, tp holder moved closer to the toilet. He still needs to move the shower and waterproof under and around it and he's going to build a wall on the side. There will be a vented access panel for the AAV (which is between the vanity and shower). I saw them selling special boxes to go in the wall for them for like $20 and I looked at it and said "I can make that for $1.11 with parts from Dollar Tree". LOL. Plastic box with lid. Cut hole for pipe, cut vents in lid, lid pops off for access...

Anyway, the bathroom is coming along nicely. He will just need to move things temporarily to get the walls painted and stuff sealed up. The flooring hasn't gone in yet either. Need to find something he can afford or just paint the floor with something waterproof but not too slippery.

This was the before when he had to rip out the floor and take the toilet and old shower out:
tumblr_ov4d9x3xob1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

This was the heater where the new shower went:
tumblr_ov4d9x3xob1qkwd9ao5_1280.jpg

This is how it currently looks:
tumblr_ovbx26iGnu1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

And my craptastic sketch for how things were to tie together. I didn't get to see a lot under the house so the tie-ins are rather rough. I hope I did OK for it. Edit to add: He wasn't going to have any vents at all until I told him he needed them and explained why. Ideally the shower would have had it's own vent and tied in higher up, but $ was tight for the project and he said that if it ends up not working in the short run, he'll make modifications later.

Mitchbathroomplumbsugg2.png

Last edited:
you are wet venting the shower. You should have a separate vent for shower that can reconnect to lav vent above the flood rim of the sink.

Mitchbathroomplumbsugg2.png

Last edited:
you are wet venting the shower. You should have a separate vent for shower that can reconnect to lav vent above the flood rim of the sink.

Yeah. I suggested that to him, but he didn't want to drill the extra holes and run the extra pipe. My first sketch for him showed the separate vents. The 2nd sketch is basically what he did. He didn't really care about it being done exactly right because he plans to only live there long enough to save up enough $ to fix up the burned house.

Is wet-venting a shower not allowed? I tried looking it up to see if wet-venting was allowed and didn't see anything against it-- but I could have missed something. I don't think the shower and lav will be operating at the same time.

Unfortunately, the toilet is still leaking and he can't figure out why.

On a side note, I finally got through to the probation officer and he said he's trying to find the girl. He also said the local cops lied when they told me they didn't know who he was and he didn't know why they did that. Anyway, they are actively looking for her and I told him she had been visiting her parents at least last week her parents probably know, but he doesn't know where her parents live. I told him to try DCFS because the parents have custody of the grandchild so that should be on record. I also stressed that she may be a danger to the child so she needed to be found asap.

Went in for some groceries and the road was flooding fairly badly. I saw a woman wading through the water to check how deep it was-- said her daughter was driving in a car and wanted to see if she could make it. She'd left her cellphone so she couldn't call the girl to tell her. I saw the girl and flagged her down and told her that her mother was waiting but that road conditions were very bad and to turn around and go back into town and her mother would pick her up. I turned around and told her mother that I'd passed along the message and then turned around again and headed in to town for mail and groceries. Also stopped in briefly to check on a friend who's been sick. Couldn't stay long because it was raining and I wanted to make it back before the road got worse.

I updated my post on FaceBook about the wanted felon that robbed my friend and put out the name and # of the probation officer with requests that people contact his office if they knew where she was. Either someone alerted my friend or it popped up for him and he asked me how I found out. I told him and he was ecstatic. He has some new info on where she might be and she has his kid-- the one she lost custody of because she endangered his life. So, I sent a message to CrimeStoppers with info about where her parents (who have legal custody of the child) live and their phone number. I also posted the link to the FaceBook page of the guy she was with recently.

I also found out she did the same thing to another friend (criminal property damage and theft) and that the ex-friend is eager for her to go to jail. So, now we have more people looking for her and her boyfriend was idiotically tagging her in posts and posting pics of them together. Either he's just stupid or he doesn't know she's a wanted felon.

Heard from the vet. No results on the samples he sent off to the lab, but he still suspects it was poisoning.

Government offices here are shut down due to Harvey so I wasn't able to pass along any more info to the DA and probation officer. I'm waiting for the weather to clear and then will give them the info. I did send an e-mail to CrimeStoppers though.

My other friend who is fixing up his house has been receiving gifts (probably from the people attending the church next door). One day it was a full set of dishes and cups on his porch and this morning it was cupcakes. I'm glad that people are helping him out, although he wants to know who it is so he can thank them.

Since my friend used PEX in his house and it seemed very easy, I'm wondering how easy/difficult it would be for me to use it and what size I should get. I'll be running it for a shower/tub. I now have a general idea of what sort of fittings are needed-- and he gave me a piece he didn't need that is for the shower arm-- I think it's 1/2" though. Should I go with 3/4" or larger?

My oldest cat had a bladder accident on my bed (on top of me) earlier. He got up to go to the litterbox but got his claws stuck in the blanket and lost control of his bladder while trying to get loose. got my leg, favorite blanket, bedspread, and sheet. I threw the stuff in the wash immediately and had to wait several hours while I hung stuff up to dry.

Meanwhile, my brother dropped a glass asian soup spoon in the garbage disposal and it got chopped up-- that is apparently what is causing the clog and stopping it from spinning. Only afterward he dumped other stuff with some grease and spilled a bunch of flour in and rather than trying to wipe it up, he just poured water on it and sent it down the disposal. So now I have chunks and tiny fragments of glass in there with paste and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it out. At least thus far he has respected my instructions not to dump anything in the disposal until I get it cleared. I wanted to try the shop vac, but the stuff is sort of caked on like dried mud.
Any ideas on how to get it out without having to remove the disposal?

Sorry girl, but your brother seems to be a royal pain in the arse!

I'm headed to Houston with the Red Cross. I hear my area is from Austin to Baton Rouge, LA. Seems I will be doing some driving in my near future. During Katrina, I had Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, so I guess I should be counting my blessings.

I'm sure those people will appreciate all the help you can muster up for them👍
Ya think the ANTIFA thugs will show up to help? 😜

I picked up a 1948 Chevy 1-1/2 ton flatbed the other day and a 1949 Case DC tractor, today I picked up a Massey Ferguson No.10 Baler and a couple antique fuel tanks that sit up on stands about 8 feet in the air and a few auto waterers from an old dairy farm we had here and some misc odds and ends. Guy was selling the property and didn't want any of this stuff. Also bought a 1954 Farmall 400 tractor that I will be picking up next week.

Sorry girl, but your brother seems to be a royal pain in the arse!

I'm headed to Houston with the Red Cross. I hear my area is from Austin to Baton Rouge, LA. Seems I will be doing some driving in my near future. During Katrina, I had Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, so I guess I should be counting my blessings.

Oh yeah. I love him to death, but he is one entitled spoiled man-child.

I have a friend over in Austin. She said things are ok over there, but I know Houston is a mess and imagine Baton Rouge probably is too. I was just there not too long ago. I hope the area around the capitol didn't get flooded because that road system is an absolute nightmare-- lots of one-way streets and you have to go around and around to get somewhere. Must be even worse with flooding.

I hope your travels go well. Do you know if you'll be passing through Allen Parish at all?

This place is so hectic, and we are getting 200 more volunteers everyday. I have no idea what ill be doing. I spent 4 hours today tracking down a volunteer who has a mental case, went AWOL, and stole a rental car. I found her 300 miles away and convinced her to return the car, and we would not press charges.

This place is so hectic, and we are getting 200 more volunteers everyday. I have no idea what ill be doing. I spent 4 hours today tracking down a volunteer who has a mental case, went AWOL, and stole a rental car. I found her 300 miles away and convinced her to return the car, and we would not press charges.

Putting your old skills to work. Do you miss your old job?
That Has to be a pretty overwhelming thing to see as a volunteer and even worst to be a victim.

My niece went out that way from Phoenix. She's a delivery nurse.
They need all sorts of help. Can't tell the babies to wait for better weather.

Well I'm going downtown here in a bit. Wife wants to go see the
sandcastle/3D art festival. https://ussandsculpting.com/

It's supposed to get hot today. 100+ in Santee, but only 88 downtown.
And then 80% chance of rain on Sun.

Hey Chris, Careful Mike and Frank are coming to visit American Pickers

I think it was well in excess of 100 on the roof today. I hate snaking from the roof, but I hate even worse pulling a toilet with an overflow backup, and setting up to do a clean job through the flange.

Back