Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Leak from toilet shutoff valve

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Kissimmee

Default Leak from toilet shutoff valve

Hi,

I'm new here. I have a problem. I have a leaking from toilet shutoff valve. It only happens when flushed. It stops leaking when the water is full. Same thing happens in my other bathroom. It's odd to have same problem in 2 bathrooms. The thing is no one use water for several weeks. My condo is empty and is for sale. I wonder if the lack of water usage causes it?

Any idea of how to fix it? Is there a screw to tighten at valve?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
phishfood
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 964 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 1739

Is the valve leaking around the stem that the handle attaches to, or is it leaking from the nut that attaches the valve to the piping coming out of the wall? What type of piping is it coming out of the wall?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1114 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I am also a bit confused as to where your toilet is leaking. I will tell you that when my vacation home isn't used for a month or two, my bowl loses water because of evaporation. If I open the tank of the toilet, the water will be sitting at it's normal high elevation. My only problem is that when I return after a long time, my floats will sometime get stuck fully elevated and I have to manipulate them a few times to get them working again. I've also learned that after a few years, I just replace the entire assembly, which is about $10.00 per toilet, and five minutes in labor.

If your tank is losing water then you might be able to fix it just by reaching inside the tank, and removing the gunk on the bottom side of your flapper with your hand to get a good seal. If this doesn't work, you may need to purchase a new flapper.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Carl399

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like the seal at the base of the flush valve is leaking, try tightening the plastic nut on the bottom of the tank.

Tags
toilet leaks, shutoff valve, supply line, lack of water