extremely clogged laundry drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kravmaga13

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home with a concrete slab and a laundry drain that was clogged and couldn't be cleared. The original owner had a bucket with a sump pump system installed which was working fine until winter came and the pipe froze and I found out the pipe was ran through the attic into the sofit to an upstairs toilet. I decided to try to clear the original drain I tried different drain clearing chemicals and a hand snake with no success. I had a plumber come and snake it with a drill type and he couldn't get it I cut some pipe out so he could get a better shot but still no good. The snake goes about 25ft and is cast iron looks to be 1.5" but its in the slab so not sure where it goes and what size exactly. Any suggestions? Pictures tomorrow. Thanks.

OMG do not use chemicals! If you already have inform the next person who works on the clog because precautions need to be taken. Hire a qualified licensed plumber or drain cleaner. The "plumber" you had who only had a 25' snake was not adequately equipped to clear many drains, especially under slab.

If its cast iron you could also be dealing with a collapsed pipe under the slab. But if its backed up with lint and soap scum, that stuff can get pretty tough. Might need a machine with a bigger diameter cable. If that doesnt work, have a camera inspection performed.

Matt is right, have a camera inspection which will help to identify the issue fast. You can also try hydro jetting. Normally before hydro jetting, a plumber inspects the drain with a small video camera to find the cause of the clog and to learn if a pipe is broken or weak.

I actuly unclogged it my self I bought a 500$ ridgid snake and got it cleared. The only issue I have now is when I do laundry sometimes it smells like septic in that utility room. Any ideas? Nonoyhrr drains have that problem. Also there is a vent to outside directly at that drain. Thanks.

I actuly unclogged it my self I bought a 500$ ridgid snake and got it cleared. The only issue I have now is when I do laundry sometimes it smells like septic in that utility room. Any ideas? Nonoyhrr drains have that problem. Also there is a vent to outside directly at that drain. Thanks.

Did you cut off a trap to get a better angle into the pipe with your new cable? if so that needs to go back on to prevent sewer gas from entering the building. If the pipe and trap are intact, there may very well be a split in the cast iron pipe that is allowing sewer gas into the building, smoke test as last resort.

OMG do not use chemicals! If you already have inform the next person who works on the clog because precautions need to be taken. Hire a qualified licensed plumber or drain cleaner. The "plumber" you had who only had a 25' snake was not adequately equipped to clear many drains, especially under slab.

Yes You are Right.. I agree with Your Suggestion. If there is too much problem of Unclogged Drain then you must have to take advice of Expert and Professional Plumbers in Your Area.

Latest posts

Back