What size kitchen sink should i buy?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetonu2950

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a sink cabinet, 36x24x34.5 and im now wondering what size sink should i be looking to purchase?
Thanks in advance

33x22 is standard double bowl kitchen sink. This would be a personal decision since only you know what the demands on sink space will be.

Most sink manufacturers state the required cabinet size on the box, if not then a reasonably competent store employee should be able to provide it. A 36" cabinet size will fit most common sinks, and as majak said it is really up to you to decide what your requirements are.

I personally prefer a standard double bowl setup, but if you have a dishwasher you may want to consider one oversize bowl with a smaller rinse sink (similar to a sink and a half).

Also keep in mind where the drains are and what your plumbing setup is. If you are trying to re-use your existing plumbing then you will want to make sure the drains are in the same spot as your previous sink. If you are doing a fresh install, consider getting a sink with the drains towards the rear of the bowl as opposed to in the middle; This means that your plumbing will be closer to the wall and leaves you with more storage space in the cabinet below the sink.

Hi,
The major things to consider are the depth, the shape, the available countertop space and if your countertop already has a cutout or needs one to be made. You will also want to consider the size of your kitchen. A cozy kitchen will look and function better with a size-appropriate sink as opposed to a jumbo triple-basin sink. On the flip side, large kitchens can accommodate larger sinks.

From a pure design standpoint they say your sink should never cover over 2/3 of available cabinet counter space. Of course, that's what "they" say. It's your sink though. The exterior of the sink box will tell you if it fits.

Back