How Do I Fix This Shower Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SportEL

Reaction score
I have a leaking shower faucet that I am trying to fix. It is the kind that has a Hot and Cold side. I unscrewed the handle, but I haven't seen the type on Youtube videos on how to take the rest off.

Please see the attached photos. Can someone describe how to proceed to take the rest off? Also, would I shut off the water from the valve above the hot water tank? I couldn't find any other valve. Thanks.

IMG_20150110_194308.jpg

IMG_20150112_221520.jpg

From the photo you posted . The best option you have is the unscrew the chrome piece. First make sure your water is off at the meter.

That white handle is where the handle screws on I would presume, that ring just right behind it might be where it unscrews to pull the valve out, I believe that is one piece.
The chrome succion plate may also come off.

Also I noticed the gate valve you have on your hot water heater will fail soon and cause damage to your hot water heater. You can see the calcium build up. Also check your water heater vent pipe and surrounding area to make sure condensation is not present, that could indicate carbon dioxide leak. Use a mirror or the match trick to ensure your heater exhaust is getting pulled through that vent.

I was able to find the hot water meter inside the house to turn it off. There was caulking around the outer chrome piece. I unscrewed that piece rather easily by hand, and then used a wrench to take off the inner piece, and then slide the white extension off. I am left with this which I have no clue how to get off. I'm trying to fix a cold water drip.

IMG_20150117_133947.jpg

I heard this big spurt and I found the plastic piece shot out. Anyone know what happened here? The plastic piece is now out. Now, do the washers need to be replaced? or the whole piece? Where would I get it?

IMG_20150117_140649.jpg

Last edited:
In addition, there is now water coming out of the handle, and also dripping out of the faucet. I turned off the water. So why is there water still coming out?

No, I had opened the faucet on both the shower itself and the sink beforehand. How do you tell if the meter valve is leaking? If it is still dripping? More than five minutes passed, and it was still dripping.

Your shut off valve probably isn't closing completely. Don't worry, it's common. If you have the ability, that should be your next project. It is also my next project.

Yep now take that white valve to your home center and get a new one. You could just replace the o rings too.

It could be the water meter not totally shut off or just water in the pipe still. It can drain up to a gallon of water of you didn't open other faucets.

I was able to find the hot water meter inside the house to turn it off. There was caulking around the outer chrome piece. I unscrewed that piece rather easily by hand, and then used a wrench to take off the inner piece, and then slide the white extension off. I am left with this which I have no clue how to get off. I'm trying to fix a cold water drip.

Hot meter ?? you have a meter for hot and one for cold water? That valve in the picture of water heater is cold supply to water heater. Normally does not shut off the cold to the unit, only the hot.

when you took the inner cap nut off that is what holds the cartridge into the valve. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Hot meter ?? you have a meter for hot and one for cold water? That valve in the picture of water heater is cold supply to water heater. Normally does not shut off the cold to the unit, only the hot.

when you took the inner cap nut off that is what holds the cartridge into the valve. Pretty simple.

Oops. Not Hot Meter. I had meant just water meter. I have bought the cartridge. I hope it's the right one. I didn't take it with me to the store as I didn't want the water leaking all over the place within the walls.

^That's smart.

So I replaced the cartridge but now, the water is shooting out where the plastic handle attaches to? What is wrong?

Well, looks like I over tightened the bonnet as the outer washer tore apart thus the water came shooting through the front. I reused the old washer and it is fine now. So is the leak most likely because of the old inner washer inside the cartridge? I now suspect it is leaking from the hot side. I initially thought it was the cold side leaking because the water didn't feel hot.

Rule #3.
When fixing a 2 handle faucet fix, both sides at the same time. :)

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back