Dishwasher install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattershot

Reaction score
We just had new cabinets installed in our kitchen. While the walls were open, we had our local plumbers over to redo all the supply and drain lines, and they did a great job.

So it's all in, and the only last detail now is that we need to buy and install a dishwasher. The hot water supply and air gap are ready. The only thing we need to do before we can hook it up is to drill a hole in the cabinet between the dishwasher compartment and the area under the sink for the dishwasher's supply and drain lines to pass through.

Questions:

-- Does the height of the placement of this hole (off the floor) matter, or can it be at any height that's convenient?

-- How big would you normally make the hole for these two lines? I've got a box of Forstner bits, so can easily go up or down in size.

-- I know I could just drill the hole and leave it at that, but do people ever finish it off in some way? Any kind of grommet-like thing (probably not the right word) to install in the hole to leave it looking a little nicer?

Last edited:
I would wait until you purchase the dishwasher before deciding where to drill the holes. I've found lower holes are better, and will usually drill (2) 1" holes to accommodate the plumbing. I've never seen a grommet added to beautify the hole, but if you are worried about wearing a hole in the piping, you could always sleeve it with a small piece of foam insulation. Also something to consider, but is your electrical outlet for the dishwasher within this compartment, or are you using the plug under the sink? If so, you may need to consider drilling an additional hole.

Thanks. The electrical outlet for the dishwasher (toggled by wall switch) is directly behind the dishwasher, so the cord doesn't need to run between the compartments.

electrical outlet? never seen it done that way. the wire hooks up in the front on the bottom.

I am the opposite of Havasu . i drill a hole for the drain high and the water low

by drilling high, the hose is pre trapped, that is what holds it up and its out of the way of my bottles/cleaning supplies whatevers
the water is imo neater down below.

Frodo, although I do agree with you on the high/low placement, I once was caught in a pickle because the discharge hose was not long enough to reach the disposal with a high hole, and then had to cut yet another hole to make it reach. I also had an installation in a very tight box, where the customer needed the dishwasher pushed back as far as it could go, and with the discharge hose, the hole needed to be drilled at the bottom to allow the dishwasher to be pushed back another inch.

This is why it is important to have the dishwasher present before drilling any holes in the cabinet.

I agree, to have it present. i carry rubber hose and clamps. behind the seat actually, with a mercury gauge, prints, overalls,
gloves. and stuff i havent seen for awhile

get you 10' or 20' of 5/8'' id rubber hose for when you need it. stick a short 1/2'' copper pipe in it and a clamp.

Tip: When installing the dishwasher, make certain that its level and plumb using a level. If the dishwasher is not level, water will go to one side and either cause damage to the washer, or not wash/rinse very well.

Use the adjusters on the feet. You wouldn't know how many times I've seen this mistake and most DIY'rs won't even realize that.

The main reason this is an issue is commonly when title or flooring is done in the kitchen, rarely does the tile setter go all the to the back wall because cabinets will be covering it. Well when putting in the washer, sometimes if not noticed, your front legs of the washer will be sitting on the tile and the back will be sitting on the sub-floor causing it to lean back 1/2 ".

Latest posts

Back