Shutoff Valve siezed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhi

Reaction score
My shutoff valve(in the basement) to the outdoor faucet is seized.It is in fully closed position but still water flows freely from outside tap. Now I cannot loosen it too:confused:!!!

Am not much of a plumber and do not have much experience

I was thinking of instead of trying to replace or fix the existing “crappy valve from the builder” I should add another valve which controls the water flow.

The current valve is soldered on 1 side and attached on the other side to a plastic tube (which runs towards the main water valve).

Can I just cut the plastic tube and add a “snap-on” valve available @ HD to shut On/Off the water flow?

Something like this:

Watts - Quick Connect Straight Valve 1/2 In. x 3/8 In. CTS - 0959278 - Home Depot Canada

The current crappy valve would now just act as a pipe…

Has anyone done this or can anyone recommend if this can be done? Or can anyone give me a better idea?????? Last thing I want to do is open the current valve by cutting the soldered pipe/valve area and than run into trouble of re-doing it

That's probably not a good choice.
Post a picture. You say you have plastic. What kind. PVC sch 40
There is also CPVC CTS (copper tube size). They are not the same
Try Sharkbite fittings. I haven't used them personnally but I've heard they work well for the DIY with out soldering.

Here are the pics....

from the looks it seems the pipe is PEX....here are the pics....

kindly assist

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

How about shutting off the water, taking a wrench and remove the valve from the body, and either replace the valve or repair what you have. It would be alot easier than cutting and adding sharkbite fittings.

Latest posts

Back