is it really ok to flush pine litter with a septic system?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosey2002

Reaction score
So we have 2 new cats and they are currently using pine cat litter (100% Natural Pine pellets) , which Ive never even heard of before this. (http://*********) it breaks down to pine dust when it gets wet.
I was told that its safe for septic systems to flush the solid waste, and whatever trace of pine/pellets may be stuck to it. Im not sure if this is really safe for my septic system or not? I have no plans of dumping entire litter boxes into the toilet, but it would be nice if whenever we were in the bathroom we could take the solid waste and just flush it.

Any opinions?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I would suggest anything but toilet paper and human waste. Baby wipes say they are flush able and they sure are not lol. We'll see what John says haha.

I would say that as long as you don't flush large amounts of it, and the toilet flushes it without problems, AND you have your tank pumped regularly, you should be OK. Now if a real septic expert comes along and disagrees with me, go with their recommendation.

Have you tried to just put some of that litter in some water yourself to see what it does and how long it takes to break down if it even breaks down. Cause it doesnt make sense if it gets wet it turns to dust cause then how does the pee from the cast solidify to be able to scoop it out. And nothing Bio degrades like toilet paper anyways.

Thanks for the input everyone!
What Im using is straight pine pellets. its not clumping. When it gets wet, it dissolves immediately into sawdust consistency. I dont scoop out for the wet (I change the box once a week as the wet doesnt smell, and that goes into compost, not the toilet!) but the poop gets scooped as soon as they go, and Im just scooping on traces of the dust and any pellets that may stick, so its not anywhere near even 1/4 cup...Im guessing more like a few tablespoons of pine at best.

That makes no sense John cause you can't eat fecies nor toilet paper, and I wouldnt throw scrapes from dinner down the toilet.

and that goes into compost, not the toilet!

Ah, there's a solution: cat poop is also great for composting. Properly managed compost piles do not stink. Research "humanure" to learn how do to it right.

Think: If your cat were an outdoor cat, where would the poop end up?

Composting feces from carnivores or omnivores is not recommended if the compost is going to be used for (or near) edible plants. The composting process does not break down bacteria the same way as feces from herbivores. There are also a number of parasites that live in the waste of humans, cats, dogs, etc. that may thrive in the compost and contaminate the produce.
Think: All of the imported produce from third world countries during our off-season was picked by workers who spend all day in the field and where do you think they crap? Yup, in the field. Rinse your veggies thoroughly and don't let your cat s**t in the garden.

"It is clearly evident that human excrement possesses the capability to transmit various diseases. For this reason, it should also be evident that the composting of humanure is a serious undertaking and should not be done in a frivolous, careless or haphazard manner. The pathogens that may be present in humanure have various survival periods outside the human body and maintain varied capacities for re-infecting people. This is why the careful management of a thermophilic compost system is important. Nevertheless, there is no proven, natural, low-tech method for destroying human pathogens in organic refuse that is as successful and accessible to the average human as well-managed thermophilic composting" (p 141)

"Complete pathogen destruction is guaranteed by arriving at a temperature of 62 C (143.6 F) for one hour, 50 C (122 F) for one day, 46 C (114.8 F) for one week or 43 C (109.4 F) for one month. It appears that no excreted pathogen can survive a temperature of 65 C (149 F) for more than a few minutes. A compost pile containing entrapped oxygen may rapidly rise to a temperature of 55 C (131 F) or above, or will maintain a temperature hot enough for a long enough period of time to destroy human pathogens beyond a detectable level (see Figure 7.6). " (p 144)

Details of pathogen survival rates and conditions are on page 147.

http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Chapter_7.pdf

Please read the entire chapter before you write it off as "unsafe", and the entire book before you actually try to use the system.

IMO, this system makes a lot more sense than pumping out septic tank sludge every 3-5 years. :)

This will be my last reply to this post and if you wish to continue debate you can PM me.
I read the humanure link. If you think that it "makes more sense" to compost human waste than to use a septic, then your perception of practicality is horribly skewed. I am very objective an open to new ideas, but after reading the humanure handbook I am thoroughly convinced that it is, itself, a bunch of humanure. The author gives me the impression that he is trying too hard to sell the idea as being safe. It is unconvincing when referencing bits and pieces of information and combining them to appear as a whole and singular concept. The selective nature of the information is only to suit his desired final result. This happens frequently in research and creates scrutiny in the minds of educated people because of the biased nature of the data.
Manipulation of opinion and dissolution of facts is a deceptive method of convincing others that one has essentially discovered something new from the scattered pieces of other people's research.
I'm not buying it. It is risky and unsafe for use on edible plants.
If you want to use it on your flowers, great.
As a matter of fact, if you are so sure that it makes more sense than a septic system, why not compost your own. Show faith in your convictions and plant some veggies with the humanure method. Also update us as to how your neighbors and township feel about having months worth of feces composting in your yard. Your words...not mine. It makes more sense than pumping a septic tank every 3-5 years.
I stand behind what I said and as stated before, I will no longer contaminate this thread with senseless banter.

Other than tissue paper if it has not gone through your body don't flush it

Say it ain't so. Don't put the kitty or its litter down the toilet. I had 7 cats and a septic system for 10 years and never had any issues as I did not put any cat litter down the toilet.

Latest posts

Back