Bathtub drain cover replacement problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aowam

Reaction score
Hi, I am a total newbie and trying a bathrub DIY that shouldve have been really easy and really quick (at least according to every online how-to videos and descriptions. Basically I just want to replace the tub drain and overflow plate.

Got the parts, the look good. Now I have a big problem. Everyone else made it look so easy to screw the drain in, but this won't screw in flush! It will screw in and there will be a huge gap on one side where it sticks up. The PVC drain pipe thing under it moves too. The overflow drain also moves. Is it supposed to do that?

Anyways, the main question here is, how to I screw it in flush? I think the PVC threads are stripped. I don't want to have to call a plumber if I don't have to and I don't want to tear out the walls or the tub or anything. Please help!

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

^see how the drain pipe is on the overflow?

There should be a heavy rubber gasket that fits between the bottom of the tub and the plastic drain shoe. Then the putty between the metal drain and the tub. Then use a drain wrench to tighten the metal drain down. It appears as though you have a slip joint tub drain, and if so, the shoe underneath the tub will twist back into alignment easily as you tighten the drain. Tightening the drain should also pull the overflow back into correct alignment. Speaking of the overflow, the gasket on that looks to be shot, so make sure to replace that as well.

dude i think you cross-threaded, if so, the piping you see behind and under the tub will need replacing, call a plumber...

agree with both of these guys ^ and especially AP... you should hire a plumber.

Most definatly cross threaded. If good enough you can re-cross thread back to normal if not you can cut a hole on bottom backside of wall that the drin is on, if accessable. You can also patch wall or place an access panel. But you can replace the tub shoe if you get it opened on the back side there. And last but not least you can always call a plumber

I wouldnt reccomend you try to correct a cross thread in plastic.

I find this kinda funny, cause I have been plumbing for 7 yrs and never thought of how to take out a tub W/O shoe other then with the tub wrench or when it brakes to cut out a little section of the shoe and then chip it out. But instead to just cut a notch or 2 on the flange of the shoe and then take a screwdriver and hammer and get to it unthread out, I know that they make a tool that is like a backwords basin wrench, ratchet style to extract the shoe, but I don't own one of those yet. And also with that special tool your just putting tension onto the threads of the body makeing it a little tougher to take out.

if the tub drain strainer breaks you can use wooden wedges in the drain. and then a crecent wrench to turn the drain body out. or, just bend a section up and use vicegrips to turn it out.

im with ap on the easy outs.. these can be made easilly if one has access to material .

Latest posts

Back