Plumbing license test

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokie1999

Reaction score
Hello, when plumbers take tests for licenses, are they tested on International Plumbing Code subject matter or is it something else? I'm in Virginia, by the way.

Check with the state. It varies state to state. When I took my first test it was town to town. In one town wiping a lead joint was part of the requirement.

John

Last edited:
My test included general trade knowledge, code questions (IPC here in FL), OSHA questions, business questions such as worker's comp and contract law.

A journeyman's test would not include OSHA or business.

Are there different levels of a plumbing license (knowledge) or does an applicant need to know the entire industry, i.e. supply, drain, venting, gas and boilers say (comparable to auto certification)?

There is a lot to learn. No wonder one has to apprentice.

Schools like Camm Tech can gaurantee you pass the test. They obviously charge a fee, but they teach you how to take the test. I have had several friends go down this road with much success at the end of it.

That is awesome I was thinking about the can tech way but wondered if I could actually pass on my own. I just don't much of the business side and did my apprenticship at SCTI in Sarasota and have a state certificate for that. Do you still have to scale out a drawing for the masters.

You do have isometrical and floor plan drawings that you will have to be able to answer sizing, fixture count, and fitting type questions about. You will also have to answer some dimension from sidewall question from the floor plan.

Back