Plumbing code drain ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamiltonjr

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
So I have a Wash Maching drain line? If I am relocating a W/M aprox. 6'-8' down the wall in a room. And the trap is in the ground. Can I just tie a Tee into the vent stack and if under 8' place a long sweep to the stand pipe for the W/M? I know I can't double trap it. Would this be leagal code wise. or does the trap have to be at the base of a stand pipe. I havent yet looked into the code book about this one.

Don't quote me, but I think Florida code says no more than 24" horizontal from fixture outlet to fixture trap. I would have to look it up to be sure, but my book is in the truck, and (hallelujah!) it is raining.

I know 24" is vertical to the trap. But I dont know about Horizontal. And then again this is a Wash Machine. And I'm sure standpipe code it 32" - 42" or 34"-42" Becasue of "suds law"

Don't quote me, but I think Florida code says no more than 24" horizontal from fixture outlet to fixture trap. I would have to look it up to be sure, but my book is in the truck, and (hallelujah!) it is raining.

Send some of that rain to the east coast. Not sure but I think it's 30". If you do look it up I would also like to know for sure. Flying by the seat of my pants here. Haven't looked in a code book for the past 3 years.

Thanks John

Last edited:
Its code number 1002.1 in FL pluming code 2007 and the horizontal is 30" vertical 24" And stand pipe is min 18" up to 42 " Code number 802.4

Last edited:
So I see nothing in code bok about double traping, Do you think that by putting 2 traps thats considered an "S Trap?"

anything over 8' of distance ( assumng its a 2" line ) would be considered an s-trap due to the hydraulic gradient ( 1/4 inch per foot or 2% )

Double trapping = s-trap. ( there is no way to maintain atmosphere between the traps )

and minimum Dimentions for a laundry standpipe. 2" line with a minimum of 36" standpipe ( for sudzing )

What I would do here anyways is to make a running trap.

Cut the original standpipe off just above the cement, Install a t-wye ( sani t ) with a cleanout on the top to serve the trap. Then run a branch across to the W/M making sure to run proper grade and to no run in excess of 8'

Running trap Codes ( here in canada )

-Fixtures must be on the same level and in the same room

-there must be a cleanout directlly above the running trap.

...and some other stuff too, of course this is regional and I would likely spend a molment or 2 in the code book, I recite this from memory and recall having done something similar once before when a machiene was relocated.. I feel that im forgetting something though.. :s

I can't find anything in our state code book about running traps. So if I were just to put a new vent pipe on the line that would be running to new location even though it would be doubled trapped would also have a vent between the to. Wouldn't this be simmalar to a building house trap since every fixture in home is trapped and has a main trap outside home?

Building traps are not allowed by code anymore.
and when they were allowed a building trap was installed in leiu of traping every fixture.

ahhh, in our 95 code they were, and I believe that in our 2005 code they may be allowed, though i;ve not referenced it. there is a new codebook out soon, it does seem likely they would be prohibited.

in that case I'd suggest to the Op, that they break enough cement to cut off the trap and just extend it as a branch.

:)

Latest posts

Back