Proper venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fbjru

Reaction score
I am renovating a house and adding a bathroom. Im a little unsure if my venting method here is ok. See attached. Please help me if it is not. Also at the sink i need to drain thru the floor but vent up thru the wall. How should i design that? Thanks in advance for your help.

image.jpg

Frodo its just a bit of a funny situation at the lav. I cant punch through the bottom plate of the wall so I am draining through the floor. Then i have a vent pipe elbowing out of the wall. I'm not sure how those should be connected. Btw im in coastal sc if that helps with code.

If there is a beam underneath the wall, bring the drain pipe up next to the wall at a 45 degree angle to bring it back into the wall. Then use another 45 degree bend to turn back vertical in the wall up to a sanitary tee to poke out to catch the drain for the lav. The toe kick of the cabinet will hide the pipe that is not in the wall.

Do i need to have a vent on every fixture or is there a way i could modify what i have to wet vent or share vents?

Phishfood-can i do what you described with elbows instead of 45's? Will that second option at the bottom right on the page work?

FBjru it's best to have vents on each fixture, but you have to look at your state's plumbing code to find out about wet-venting.

Now, for your lav, you can have a sanitary tee outside the wall with a pipe going down through the floor and then have like a bend on top of the sanitary tee to take it in to the wall and then another bend to have it go back straight up inside the wall.

Maybe something like this:
tumblr_n9ys5uIwWt1qkwd9ao4_500.png

I could be wrong on the angle of the bend. Hopefully someone can correct me.

Also, instead of having a 1-1/2" vent, you could have a sanitary tee that is 2" on top and bottom and 1-1/2" in the middle. That way vent and drain would be 2".

PS. ignore the thing about the garbage disposal and double basin-- this was a sketch I had for a plan for my kitchen sink. Instead of going outside the wall, yours would be inside.

Sorry to keep editing this, but if you say what state you are in, we can figure out what plumbing code you are under: IPC, UPC, or state specific. The vents differ from one code to another.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Ive got some head scratching to do, i have some space constraints to run some of these pipes.

I think my developed length would be to long for that. The house is old and had been added on to many times. The framing is odd and difficult. See attached, this is what i have behind the sink. The adjacent room had a foor about 8" higher. The toilet and tub or on this same wall which is why im having trouble running my vent pipes. I'll be back over there tonight.

image.jpg

Ok, i can work with that. Just as a general question, where can regular and sweeping 90s be used?

a regular 90 can be used horizontally to vertical a sweep is used vertical to horizontal

no long sweeps are required to vent, but, you need to have the vent graded back to the fixture
for rain water/condensate to drain away

cyberheater2.jpg

1937252_10153812144090168_8464119803156378908_n.jpg

Last edited:
My confusion is that if long sweeps are not required for venting, why are you not even allowed 45s in the vent section that you drew?

Ok i figured out a solution. There is space between the tub and the wall to run two vent pipes. I may have to jog them with 22.5s as well. These vents will be for the toilet and tub, can they join together at a height before joining the horizontal vent? Anything else a newb may miss here? What size of all the pipes and traps is recommended?

45s and 90 are allowed in venting..you can not offset your vent from vert to hor. until you are 6'' above the flood level.

a 22 is not considered an offset because itis so suddle, thats why it is legal to offset it with

after you are above the flood level, you can offset with 45s and 22'

you can use a long sweep when venting, but why?, it cost more,

lots of crazy rules, head hurt yet?

you can not join any vents together till you are 6'' above flood level

flood level is the level of a fixture hat the water over flows.

top of tub, top of toilet bowl, top of sink

Last edited:
So here is a more detailed version of what im thinking now.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back