Main gate valve won't close

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveg01

Reaction score
I have a 1950's house and the main gate valve will not shut off all the way. I read online that you can gently open and close it a few times to clear the debris. I did this a few times and the valve produced a couple drops of water. I am not sure where the water came from, but it worried me enough to stop. Is the water normal? Possibly from the stem that was emerged each time I shut it off? Or, is it possible the valve is starting to fail?

I would like to get this valve to shut all the way off so I can remove some galvanized pipe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

When I see a gate valve on somebodies water service I stay clear.
Sometimes you get lucky and the turn off 97% but rarely 100% off.
And if you're not careful, the stem breaks with the valve in the closed position.

Thank you for your reply! It does close quite a bit, though if I do not leave a valve open, the system will build up pressure.

Is there a way to work on the down stream galvanized with it only closing 97%?

How about adding a ball valve downstream? Once installed, you can fully open the gate valve and leave it forever.

How about adding a ball valve downstream? Once installed, you can fully open the gate valve and leave it forever.

I like that idea a lot! Is it possible to install the ball valve when the gate valve will only shutoff most of the way? I get a trickle out of the laundry sink when its shut off.

If the water is just weeping by you could use an ips
ball valve at the closest male thread

as long as your comfortable weeping by is not big deal just make
sure the pipe/fittings your gonna put a wrench on is in good shape

Last edited:
Back