Replace copper to cast iron drain pipe with PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lead-Pipe

Reaction score
I need some help with this project. I noticed that I had some water around the concrete of my main drain pipe. I took out the floor and found this (picture 2) what is the best way to get this joint out? it is 3" copper going into a 4" cast Iron pipe. Any advice would be helpful. As I took up the floor I noticed that the copper vent line to the toilet was shot. The fitting to the toilet looks okay (picture 1) but while I have the floor open I was thinking I should replace that joint as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

iphone 7 10-9-17 063.jpg

iphone 7 10-9-17 064.jpg

not sure, lotta dirt on the connection
but it looks like a leaded joint.
cut the 2'' line in half, then force the 3'' line back and forth like you are pulling a tooth
remove the copper from the cast.

then, remove the lead and oakum from the hub fitting
and replace with a tyler eztite cast iron hub gasket
service_weight_gaskets_Multi-tite_gasket_ez_tite_gaskets_soil_pipe_gaskets.jpg

Thanks again, not really an option those cast iron pipes run very deep out to the septic system. I would need a backhoe and a younger mans back. Is there a type of PVC I should use?

Sorry for all the questions, how far up should I cut out the copper? Do I replace to the next joint, 8' up (pictured) or just cut lower an use a furnco?

IMG_0378.jpg

Last edited:
room.jpg

replace all the copper, go back with pvc

cut the copper up and sell it for scrap
there are 2 different prices for scrap copper
#1 and #2
#1 is copper with out any solder
#2 is the fittings with solder on them
make sure you have it seperated when you go to the recycle center
BE AWARE some will hink you are not aware of the difference in #1 and #2
they will give you the price of #2...Be vocal, let them know you aint stupid

Looks like the 2” is vent for the water closet.
Where the copper connects into cast iron is probably a lead/oakum joint. You can drill out the lead and or slice the copper vertically inside the joint and pell it out.
If the cast iron is solid you can pack a new joint with lead wool and oakum

Search this forum for how to replace a cast iron closet flange

Ok it was a lead joint with a brass ring. I'm very surprised that it leaked. Once I got a section cut out the lead peeled right out. I ran the PVC to the next copper joint and connected it with a fernco fitting, no leaks. I will tackle the vent pipe next. I very much appreciate the help!

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Got the second drain done. Done for the day, I will finish the vent tomorrow. Not sure what you guys charge for this but it's not enough! If I didn't have 2 in college I would not be doing this. Again thanks for the help, great website! Small donation made.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Wow, great pictures. Thanks for sharing, and, nice work!

Back