Mystery Shower Flow?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumpsterdan

Reaction score
I have been repairing my own plumbing problems for years but have a new one that I have no clue where to start. Just had bathroom remodeled. New tub with Moen faucet with shower. Typical diverter in the spout which closes and diverts to shower head. Works fine. Now the new tub drain is the simple chrome lift and turn type. It works fine. Now as far as I know water supply, faucet and shower head are all separate from the drain. (Or at least all the ones I have seen)
But, here is what happens. Turn water on to fill tub with spout. Do not touch diverter. And, there is no water from shower obviously. Now I reach down and close tub drain and wah-la water starts flowing out of shower! Not the full flow. Most still coming from spout but significant flow out of shower head. Open the drain and water will stop flowing from shower head. I am stumped. Any help out there????

Well, I am a little emabarassed. When my wife told me the problem as I described in my first post I was skeptical. I said show me. She turned on water. Waited about ten seconds, closed drain and sure enough water began to come out of shower. OK. Later, I was still not convinced so I went back and followed same steps and it did it again. Same thing happened. So I posted on this forum. Today I thought about it more and it just didn't make sense. So I went back and turned on the water and waited. Did NOT close drain. After 8 or 10 seconds water began flowing from shower head. Drain has no affect which my simple mind knew to begin with.

Simple fix coming up. Sorry for false alarm. Amazing what tricks coincidental timing can play on you.

little confused
did you say, turn water on and water comes out of shower head without closing the divertor on the tub spout?

if so, your tub and shower valve is installed up side down

the valve has ''up'' or ''shw'' stamped on the valve body

216728.jpg

Thanks. About 95% comes out of tub spout and the rest comes out of shower head. Just enough to create annoying light spray. I think there may be some debris behind diverter from new install. Anyway the installer said he would come by today and check it out at no charge, so I will let him. :)

Thanks, Frodo.

The guy from Bath Planet stopped by for a few minutes yesterday. I was busy so did not see what he did, but he was in the bathroom about ten minutes with a couple of tools. He said "Just had to make a little adjustment to the valve." The problem is solved and he did not have time or the tools to flip the valve. I should have asked what he did.

Anyway. On we go. I am sure I will be back.

Latest posts

Back