Kitchen Sink-Repairing Old Moen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PS85

Reaction score
The house is from the early seventies, I know for a fact the ball type faucet was replaced perhaps 15 years ago by a plumber. It's a Moen, it had that red and blue button over the Allen screw. Checked out some videos, but this configuration does not appear on the videos. So I took the top off, and this is what it looks like.

Does anyone know what what repair kit I should look for at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

And here's the straight on front view, and the view inside the handle. Would appreciate any help you can give in finding which repair kit to use.

Picture 006.png

Picture 007.png

Last edited:
take out the screw. remove the white thing and every thing down to the stem.
Once you get down to the clip that holds the core in you should be up to any video you have seen.\
You may need a puller to extract the core.
make sure you pull the spout and replace the o-rings ( lubricate them )

moen.jpg

Last edited:
Much thanks. I actually did get it down to the stem last night, including removing the clip which I saved, after posting. All I need right now is what # cartridge to buy. It seems the cartridges come with a tool to help you pull out the old one, but if I can't pull out the old one to make sure I have right number cartridge, I won't know which cartridge/tool combo to buy in the first place. The numbers seem to be 1200, 1220, 1222, 1224 and 1225, there might be more. Do you know which number cartridge I should buy?

Use the 1225B .
Looks like the first picture.
1200 will also work but are the old style made of brass and can bind up over time and be very difficult to replace.

If you are down to the stem. look at it very closely at
the tabs on the core that the clip slides past. if the tabs are brass (thin) then you have the 1200 brass core. you are going to need a puller to pull it out.
Might be better off just replacing the faucet.
if the tabs are plastic like in the picture of the 1225B the you might be able to break it free with the white thing that comes with the new core.

1225B.png

1200.png

Use the 1225B .
If you are down to the stem. look at it very closely at
the tabs on the core that the clip slides past. if the tabs are brass (thin) then you have the 1200 brass core. you are going to need a puller to pull it out.
Might be better off just replacing the faucet.
if the tabs are plastic like in the picture of the 1225B the you might be able to break it free with the white thing that comes with the new core.
The tabs are brass, one of them seems kind of loose to begin with. If I have this correctly, you are supposed to pinch the tabs inward in order to get the cartridge out? Or are the tabs supposed to go outward as the cartridge is withdrawn?

I have an idea on how to pull it out, Rube Goldberg style. Whether it will work, I don't know. Don't hold your breath waiting for success, but here goes.

Last edited:
Well, my Rube Goldberg idea worked. I took the screw from the top of the cartridge, got a washer from the basement which fit the head, then took the screw down to Home Depot with me when I picked up the 1225B cartridge. At Home Depot, I sized the thread of the screw from their display, and it turned out to be 10-24 coarse thread. I picked up two $1 packages, one for 3/4" long 10-24s and one for 1½ inch long, so the height of the screw can be adjusted. Went down the basement, picked up a couple of scrap pieces of two by four, picked up a claw hammer, and came upstairs to the kitchen sink. This is the apparatus I came up with, which worked easily. Of course, yesterday I put some sewing machine oil down there, so it had overnight to loosen up things.
Too late tonight to finish, now that the cartridge is out the rest should go easily tomorrow.

Picture.jpg

Got it done. The control lever seems a little loosey-goosey, but things seem to be functional. I'll investigate further if it still feels "off" in a couple of days, but for now I'm finished. I would like to thank Mr_David for his invaluable help in giving me the information I needed to proceed. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back