Need help identifying mystery pipe/cap in floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaelgoil

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a DIYer, so I apologize if my question is something that should be obvious. I only dabble in plumbing when the need arises.

Does anybody know what the capped off pipe by the shower would be? Do I need to maintain access to it or can it be covered and forgotten (again) that it ever existed?

The slot on top of the cap is filled with old adhesive and some half-hearted attempts on my husband's behalf couldn't get it to budge. The tiles are floating about 1/4" above, so it's not trapped by them.

Thanks!

Backstory/Additional Info: The house is from the early 1950s and is a bizarre little community where engineers designed and built their own houses. Remodeling it has been both an adventure and a nightmare.

This is an upstairs bathroom -- located above the kitchen, with no access -- and was carpeted until this weekend. The wax seal on the toilet started leaking and I decided enough was enough; when I pulled out the carpet, I found this underneath.

There are a lot of issues with this bathroom and we were wanting to fully remodel and tile it...but I don't want to start any of that until I know what the mystery thing in the floor is and how to deal with it.

20170827_142602.jpg

Hard to say. Maybe is All I can give you,
Floor drain, cleanout. mistake. trim the wood next to it just a little and stick a small mirror in or a camera.

Looks like a floor drain or like david said an access to a clean out

Latest posts

Back