Ruined by plumber :(

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffpas

Reaction score
Hired a plumber to replace a broken main stop valve for old house who has since disappeared. I pretty much do everything myself but I hired this out because I felt nervous about the main water line.
My worst fear here which is probably true as everything else has been going lately, is that he combined the wrong parts when assembling the stop valve- and a second, which needed replaced further up, see both pics.
This was about 6 months ago. As you can see, both are heavily rusted now which is just crazy in that short of a time.
Its just a disaster as I have remodeled the bathroom myself, and to change this out would require ripping out the wall again, as the two access panels surely aren't big enough to fit a riser pipe through. Among other problems (leak in the ceiling, unrelated issue, requiring ceiling to be ripped out)

My questions are is this a hazard, will it eventually leak or burst. And if so, how long?

IMG_20160119_200056469.jpg

IMG_20160119_195942693.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like black steel parts were used along with galvanized and brass. That is just corrosion waiting to happen.

which part is black steel, the unions? The pipe looks like galvanized to me

OK I've got a reply on another DIY forum
>>>
Looks fine to me...he just used plain steel unions on either end of the valve, which yes will rust fairly quick. But everything looks kosher. It would take a loooong time for a steel union to rust to the point where its structural integrity would be affected.
I don't see a catastrophe in the making. Wire brush the fittings and paint them to keep them from rusting further.
>>>

Does anyone agree here? I don't care about the look just don't want a burst water line in the middle of the night. Is the rust from condensation from the air? Then I imagine wire brush and Rustoleum would stop further corrosion there. But what about the inside?

How much of a difference would that make in the long run?
Because I'd prefer to let sleeping dogs lie if I can. If I get in there next thing you know I've got a cracked main line. And its not leaking now.
I'd be glad to brush and paint though. That can't do any harm.

LOL LOL Who was the Dumbass who told you to just paint the pipe? LOL

Yeah man,,,,that will make it look GOOD, as it rusts on the inside where it is not seen LOL

you [posted 2 pictures, and said he REPLACED a broken valve. which valve did he replace? photo 1 or 2

I am wondering if all he did was replace the valve and did not remove and replace the stuff that was already there.valve looks new

BECAUSE, In My opinion. aint no way in hell, those pipes rusted that much in 6 mths.

IMG_20160119_195942693.jpg

IMG_20160119_200056469.jpg

Would install of a-

Fitting- 3-4in FIP to FIP Dielectric Union

0821726-1.jpg

-possibly prevent or slowdown the corrosion (galvanic) (possibly along with PEX lined nipples) between the different types of pipe?

Might also take into consideration these are bargain basement parts, i.e. CHI-COM. When I was doing some remodeling, CHI-COM was also sold in plumbing supply stores (FERGUSON). Had to be very careful.

Seems to me the whole thing (from supply entry) should have been redone in copper or PVC... :confused:

Last edited:
Hahahahaha paint the pipe thats awesome. Eventually you wonder why your water has a hint of rust in it when you go to drink a glass of water. Black iron is not to be used on domestic water.

Latest posts

Back