filter back wash pressure rating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhusurao

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone help me, what is the filter backwash pressure rating which are released from pressure sand filter and activated carbon filters during maintenance.

Can i send this water to external drain or do i need to introduce dewatering sump in plant room to capture this backwash water...

Thanks. Madhu

Are these filters for the home or are they commercial? What do you mean by during maintenance?

I mean filter cleaning backwash water pressure rating... this is high raised resisential building. Thanks

I'm not sure if you want the pressure in the system or the pressure coming out of the drain line. If the drain line, there is no pressure, it simply runs out of the 5/8" tubing. As for the backwash, there should be at least 30 psi of system pressure. Any less and the softener won't get a good backwash which not only cleans, it fluffs up the mineral bed. The pressure is also needed to draw the salt brine from the brine tank.

Generally on a sand filter the backwash pressure will be somewhat less then static pressure but not all that low. A backwash pit is generally a very good idea with a drain sized for the discharge rate - the pit /sumpcapacity. A 6" drain is really nice. but 4" may work. Think the last one I did was something like 2x3x3 feet. But its been a while so could be a little foggy. What size discharge on the backwash and what make / model is the sand filter

Both the sand and carbon filter can go to the same backwash pit or tank.

Last edited:
Back