pex tools

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

220ws

Reaction score
what do you pros think of the pex clamp tool with stainless rings versus the
crimp tool with the copper rings..??? from Pex Supply... 50$ versus 110$ m/l
I dont want to spend 100 really...what a rip...typical...
I also saw that expander on youtube that was the shorter ratchet type,
not the long Wirsbo thing...it has the thing that pulls the ring up also on it..
who makes that,??

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RcPcS1lck&feature=related[/ame]

any links to better prices..???

Last edited:
From what HVAC school has told us I know this system is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread to the plumbing field.

It offers a stronger bond than soft soldering or brazing, safer (no flames need) to install, and quicker.

Also from what was said in class it's way faster to install, like night and day faster which will always lead to less cost.

Why is it so much faster, because it is flexible and can be angled with out elbows or as many connectors , and the tube comes in longer lengths than copper pipe does, it's lighter, cleaner (no flux or pipe dope) which all means it can be installed faster.

Sad it can withstand high pressure so we can use it in HVAC.

Now they have a solderless system that a 2 year old can do, it's called sharkbite. It snaps to put together and provides a tight seal, or at least is supposed to. I do not recommend it on a outside wall, or at all.

I made a mistake to allow it to be used in one of our properties as a repair, the plumber swore by it and said it would be cheaper, god knows my company is all about saving $.01 if it could be so I approved it.

Well the plumber changed his tune when we had an indoor swimming pool because of it. The tenant was not home when it broke apart, so while they were at work the water ran all day long and flooded their apartment as well as 2 other units, one on each side.

Last edited:
no sure of the name of the company, I know OCC built a bike for them but I can't think of the name of it.

Also ebay it, craigslist it and save cash.

i got the cinch its cheaper btw never saw this parse thing that automat, turns link into video..pretty slick

I also agree that is a pretty slick set of tools. Anyone know how much both of those tools would cost?

Isn't the system that is demonstrated in the video the Rehau Everlock system? I like the fact that the PEX expansion fittings cause less reduction in flow than the slip on/crimp fittings. The problem seems to be that Everlock may have been removed from sale for potable household systems.

i got the cinch and ss clamps....they worked perfectly with a fairly cheap cinch tool..

im looking to get into pex myself, i have been plumbing for 20 years now and only used copper, i really like the expander myself, seems so much easier to work with... but i dont know witch way ill go, the cinch is a close 2nd... its all about repipes for me, so whatever works best under a house or in the attic is what i want to use.

pex crimp tools. Fast, pretty easy, have to carry diferent tools for the different sizes.
I used this system lots when i started plumbing.

stainless pinch rings, Same pro's as crimp but only 1 tool to carry around.
I use this currentlly lots, only con i find is the brass fittings are poor consistancy and sometimes shear off, i use only plastic now.

Sharkbite... awesome for a parkade repair or such, NEVER in a conceled place.

wirsbo expansion tool, hand tool = effort, have done a few hundred in a day... 1 inch is horriblle. not a fan.

the power tool however IS pretty easy and nice. I still cant justify buying my own as i;ve no real complaints about the pinch tools.

my 2c

Im not a fan of the pinch rings. I dont know about your suppliers out there but there have been horror stories around here of guys having them blow apart

there are cheaper oned that are quite brittle, the higher quality ones cost .01 C more and are worth the penny. Always stress test yopur piping with pressure behind it, this eliminates many hastles and takes only a second

You know how it goes. Nothing leaks when the plumber is there.....but as soon as we pull out of the driveway....*drip*drip*drip*

this is why im harsh to my piping banging it around with the rubber end of the hammer while it it flowing and under pressure, and also to drain work. the idea is to put it under more stress than it could ever see in service.

though i can certainly agree that the "sound" or rattling is never present when A plumber is looking for it, and that we always "cost too much" :)

I can never find the Pex 1" or 3/4" rings at home depot. They're always out. I tried others and they don't seem to work with my tool.

I can't carry around a bunch of pex crimpers.

Latest posts

Back