Accidentally Poured Grease Into Storm Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulykoa

Reaction score
My family was over last night frying food and it turns out the grease was poured out into a storm drain for my townhome complex. I would estimate it was 3-4 gallons worth. Is there anything I can do now to help prevent any clogging problems? The drain is probably 3 feet in diameter. I can see down into it and it just appears to be some standing water (it also rained yesterday) but there is definitely more standing water in that storm drain than the other few around the complex.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Who poured it in the storm drain? Get addresses because folks in my area that do this get hefty $10,000 bills for the clean up.

Who poured it in the storm drain? Get addresses because folks in my area that do this get hefty $10,000 bills for the clean up.

It was an honest mistake by younger relatives who didn't know better. We stopped them mid-dump and put the rest in a container. I'm trying to do what I can now to prevent any issues.

I'm not pointing fault. As a kid, we use to drain all of our used motor oil into the sewer drain. One day, lots of men, half in white tyvex suits, and others wearing a suit and tie paid us a visit. We got our butts reamed real good. Depending on the severity, it may be more responsible to call the city and let them know so as to not cause any further damage.

I'm not pointing fault. As a kid, we use to drain all of our used motor oil into the sewer drain. One day, lots of men, half in white tyvex suits, and others wearing a suit and tie paid us a visit. We got our butts reamed real good. Depending on the severity, it may be more responsible to call the city and let them know so as to not cause any further damage.

Thanks and understood. I'm not sure if it should be considered severe, but I will look into it. This is not a regular thing so it's not like we have past buildup, and it absolutely won't happen again.

Back