Help! Toilet bubbling...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handyman1

Reaction score
Hey, everyone, I have an issue that I need help with. When the shower is going to the master bath the toilet in the same room will have air bubbles coming up. This happened a few weeks ago one time then stopped and was fine until yesterday. It happened again while the shower was going and then the toilet was flushed directly after the shower and the toilet filled but would not empty. When left alone it went down. And now the toilet will fill when flushed but not empty but the water level will go back to normal if let sit for awhile.
This is a split level house and I do have a cleanout access in the basement before it exits the house to the septic system.

From my little bit of research, I'm thinking partial clog or the possibility or a blocked vent. So does anyone know if the "intermittentness" of the issue means anything specific to the nature of the problem?

Ultimately my question is before I call a plumber should I try a closet auger?
(my 3 year old may have flushed a diaper down the toilet a month ago, these problems didn't start until weeks after that) Should I rent an industrial strength snake and start at the clean out in the basement? What should I try first before I call in the professionals?

Thanks in advance for all your help?

By the time you rent an auger, drive that thing home, shoving it into holes with no knowledge, hoping you don't injure yourself or cause irreparable damage, you could make a phone call and let an expert get you fixed for so much less time or trouble, I am also a DIY type of guy, but this is one time I myself would make a phone call.

You have a stoppage down the line. when you take a shower the line fills up.
Then with no or little use the fluid drains out slow, leaving the solids to collect.
You need to get it snaked out. If you don't have a clean out then they will probably have to pull the toilet. Not something you're gonna want to do yourself.

Thanks for the responses so far. So if I was going to do the auger myself, would it make sense to start at the cleanout in the basement or just go straight to taking the toilet off and go that way?

Also does anyone know why this would not happen all the time? Why would it be intermittent? The toilet seems to flush fine now but I know it will only be a matter of time.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the responses so far. So if I was going to do the auger myself, would it make sense to start at the cleanout in the basement or just go straight to taking the toilet off and go that way?

Also does anyone know why this would not happen all the time? Why would it be intermittent? The toilet seems to flush fine now but I know it will only be a matter of time.

Thanks everyone.

Not sure why I bother answering question. Did you read my response?

Then with no or little use the fluid drains out slow, leaving the solids to collect
You need to get it snaked out. If you don't have a clean out then they will probably have to pull the toilet. Not something you're gonna want to do yourself.

You are going to need a LARGE power snake/auger and if you don't know how to use one you can get hurt. easy to operate once you know how but, go rent one and give it a go.

Not sure why I bother answering question. Did you read my response?

Then with no or little use the fluid drains out slow, leaving the solids to collect

You are going to need a LARGE power snake/auger and if you don't know how to use one you can get hurt. easy to operate once you know how but, go rent one and give it a go.

Yes I did read your response and I thanked you for it. I was asking why it is intermittent, as in I had the problem the other day for two days in a row and now it acts fine. So if there is a blockage down the line why is it not symptomatic consistently? That was not answered in your original post (not that you need to give me all the answers I thought maybe someone else could chime in). I'm simply getting options of things that I had not thought of and asking for specifics, I thought that was the point of forums such as this? The advice to call a pro kind of defeats the purpose of what I am currently trying to do.

Don't get us wrong. Our intent here is to help homeowners and save as much money as possible. This is much different when it comes to clearing drains. They are dangerous, heavy, and unless you know what you are feeling, you could easily harm yourself or your plumbing. This is one area where it is logical to spend about $100 and let the guys haul in the machine, that know what they are doing, and if they hurt themselves, well, that is the cost of doing business. Have you seen a snake get out of control and break a limb? I have, it is not funny!

seems to be an easy solution if you have a long enough snake..please call a plumber near you or you can rent snakes from some local stores,,unless you are willing to buy a snake,,cheap ones are 30$, professional industrial snakes go for 2k to 5k, that is what we use. good luck

ridgid-plumbing-snakes-augers-41348-64_1000.jpg

ridgid-plumbing-snakes-augers-26993-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Back