Leaking pipe/Main In house Shut Off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kibbis

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time poster here. My wife and I bought a house a few months ago and it's been a plumbing nightmare to say the least. I've done a few jobs with a mix of hiring a pro for things I know are out of my league. This may be one of them, but I'm not sure. There is a very slow drip near the main shut off valve inside the house. I installed a 2nd shut off shortly down the line because at first, the original only leaked when the water was shut off (like I said....it's been a nightmare and I've had to shut the water off many times). I've been inspecting the new shut off every few days just to make sure everything is good and I noticed a small wet spot on the floor by the old shut off. Well turns out something is leaking there now too. Normally, I'd be OK doing it myself, but it looks like the previous owner, in all his 'cheap fix' methods, concreted over the where it's leaking from so I have no real way of telling if it's the shut off, or before/after the shut off.

So my question is what would be the best way to get the concrete off of the pipe itself to see what's going on underneath? I'll attach some photos. Ignore the putty. I put that on to slow the drip even more, which is working temporarily. You can see the concrete in the photos. I'm hoping to not have to get a jackhammer and chip away the foundation.

This may be for the pros though, as much as my wallet hates me saying that :(.

20171105_045728.jpg

20171105_045733.jpg

20171105_045739.jpg

20171105_045746.jpg

I'm just having a pro come out and do it. I'm getting burnt out on this house.

I'm just having a pro come out and do it. I'm getting burnt out on this house.
Did you try tightening the packing nut. That is the nut that is closest to the handle of that valve. A slight tightening might be all that is needed.

Latest posts

Back