Thinking About Tankless

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movick

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to replace an 80 gallon electric water heater in the Spring of 2018 (American Water Heater Model: E62-80H-045DV) as a DIY. I am considering going with a tank-less water heater as the current monster resides in an under-staircase closet, which also houses my whole house filter. Getting to the whole house filter (I have well water) is very cumbersome with the huge tank in the way and I would really appreciate the extra space and easier access. At this time, a tank-less unit is the same or less costly than a direct replacement heater.

The builder's plumber installed an anti-sweat mixing valve with 1/2" copper to all the toilets (see attached image) and I am wondering if the tank-less (on-demand) water heater will cause issues with this set-up?

I am thinking about installing the tank-less heater on the inlet wall - below the copper. I am curious if I will need to re-plumb everything coming in with hard copper or can I sweat thread-on fittings and use flex to the tank-less?

I have 220 volts already to the current water heater.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Mov

bff984bfed5e5956e2cde1327f737a29.jpg

I am not a plumber so can't help with the plumbing. I am an electrical contractor.

Make sure you check electrical requirements for the tankless unit. The tankless will likely use a much larger circuit which will force you to add a new larger 220 volt circuit for it.

They use larger circuits because they have to heat instantly rather than slowly in a large tank.

Thanks for that Wooddude.

I researched the electrical aspect of tank-less, and right in line with your suggestion, I determined that I will need a service and panel upgrade. I can save a few bucks and run the 8/2 wires, but I'll have to get a few estimates as to the cost of a bigger panel and a higher amp service. Currently my 80 gallon heater uses one double pole 30 amp breaker; a 36KW tank-less heater requires 4 x 40 amp double pole breakers!! I will also need a 250 amp service - jeez!!

All things considered, I may simply downsize my giant 80 gallon heater with a 52; I am the only full time resident here and I think the 80 gallon is overkill. We will see.

Thanks again!

Mov

I personally would not waste my money on a tankless unless I had natural gas to heat it.

Just to be perfectly clear, installing a tank-less heater would not serve solely to un-stuff my mattress of annoying, sleep-robbing cash.

(1) I really could use more space in my under-stair closet to access the whole house filters and well pump system.

(2) The unit Walter H. White installed in his family's utility room looked pretty friggen' cool.

Me too; watched the entire series pilot to finale multiple times!

And yes, I know Walt's was gas - I have no way to vent mine, hence electric.

5c5cd7731b28bffaf461a43efb1534b1.jpg

cbf7b4bb98f378b3700775f65a111d32.jpg

I switched to a "whole house" tankless electric heater from an LP std water heater.
Even with the price of electricity is higher here than LP, I save more than $ 30 per month.
you might try something like that

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this article might help you get the right tankless water heater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious how much is your electrical bill monthly using that electrical water heater? We use gas out here. So just curious how much others might pay.

Back