Backflow device defective?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My cousin, who has a vacation home in the mountains, asked me to go to his house and help him with a problem. His home is in a gated community and recently he was advised they would be checking everyone's backflow device to determine if it was in good working order. His was checked and found not to be working properly.

Worst part is now the codes have changed and since repairs are needed, it is necessary to conform to the new regulations, where the backflow device must be 18" above the soil line, opposed to his buried device as it is now. He was then provided a business card of one of this guy's friends, who will give him great pricing.

I personally believe this was a scam, plain and simple. is there any way for us laymen to check ourselves to see if this device is actually broken or not?

I've included some pics of his sunken system now, and a few pics of his neighbor's new raised device, which he will be required to duplicate. Please keep in mind that he has a copper pipe leading to the main, and a PVC line leading to his private well.

1350410891655.jpg

1350410881141.jpg

1350410868601.jpg

1350410857229.jpg

1350410972025.jpg

1350411106775.jpg

1350411146101.jpg

Havasu, where I am from you have to be certified to inspect backflows, we do not inspect them, but the inspection is opening the side ports in some sort of series while opening and closing the shutoff valves ,also inspecting the inners parts. If the backflow is not that old there is a chance it could be rebuilt. Maybe someone here is a certified inspector that can give you more info. The guy who inspect the backflow , did he have a certification and did he say what is wrong with it ?

Thanks for the reply. Since I wasn't there when this occurred, I can only go by what my cousin told me. He stated he was in fact certified, but since repairs are necessary, it would be necessary to move it out of the box and up 18" due to the new codes. The biggest concern is the fact that this home is in an area that gets plenty of snow, and his fence is torn down every year by the snow plows who really don't pay attention to where the curb is, and ripping out the backflow every year is going to get really expensive to repair.

What about moving it on the other side of the fence or is that someone else property. We starting having cages put over some of our customers, due to thieves stealing them. Google backflow cage.

Moving it is no problem since he owns all the property (5 acres) around the house. Hopefully, when Chris comes back, he can find time to go up there with me and find an ideal place to re position the backflow device. Problem with moving it towards the hill is that it is a fairly steep incline, so more digging would be necessary, along with a retaining wall to hold back the dirt.

Agree that rebuilding the inner bits would be easier. Replace the unit as a whole and now you running into current code issues. The problem with RPZ backfow preventers in pits is the atmospheric port on the bottom is itself a source point for contamination when the pit is flooded.

Could not tell if anyone had touched the valve so not sure how they could test it without cleaning the side ports, where the test meter hoses connects.

Assuming your installation met code when it was installed, I would ask to see the test report on your backflow preventer.. Sort of sounds a bit of a scam to me..

If they come up with a certified report, then hire a plumber to replace the internal check valves. It may just need to be cleaned or there may be nothing wrong with it at all.. No report, then it was not tested and they just what to get you on code compliance.

I believe that repairing the valve in place does not require compliance with the current codes. Installing a new valve would....

Beni Bacon, PE, CIPE

I don't have anything to do with back flow preventers, although I think they are a joke.

My biggest question is; what's going to keep it from freezing in the winter if they move it above ground? Here in Florida they are sticking up all over the place. I would like to have a nickel for everyone I have tripped over.

I also am concerned about it freezing. The neighbor who moved it above ground did wrap fiber insulation and had a custom canvas wrap built for it as an attempt to keep the pipes warm, but only cold weather and time will tell.

Unless he has a heat source, the entire thing will cool down over night and freeze. Heat tape has come a long way from what I've heard. They even have one that you can put inside the pipe. Moving from Michigan to Florida 30 years ago kind of took me out of that loop.

Unfortunately, that device is about 200' away from the nearest electrical source, so that in itself would prove to be the biggest expense. So far, repairing where it is seems like the best option.

No offense, but is this device in California??? I mean some people call it another country with their own laws. Did they put any thought into this at all? Without a heat source, being below the frost line, or a heat tape, light, fire or something. Anything left outside no matter how much you insulate it, will freeze eventually. The freezing temps will get to it.

Here in Florida in the winter, like the two we had in a row in 2009 and 2010, we lost practically our whole yard as far as plants went. I had just planted 15 citrus trees. I covered them with garbage cans and let the ground heat keep them alive. But if it had stayed cold for much more time than just a few hours at night, that wouldn't have done it either. All the other plants above ground that aren't cold hardy, croaked.

Yes, it is in an exclusive gated complex in an area where it will snow 4-6 feet in the winter. I'm still scratching my head over this ordeal, and believe it is all just a big scam. When Chris returns from his hunting trip, I will see if he can repair what is there, and save my cousin lots of headaches in the future.

I agree, I mean why would a regulator put out a ruling like than knowing full well that they will freeze.

If it is actually a new reg, I'm going to get into the business of making and marketing backflow preventer freeze preventers.

Havasu where exactly is he located and what district? I will look up the specs and see what is really allowed. Above ground is stupid and it will freeze and you will have problems and I am sure you will be rebuilding it every now and then. I am free tomorrow and am heading up to the mountains anyway if you have time to go? Bringing it above ground is easy and not to expensive but it would be better to leave it where it is. What did they say was wrong with it? If it aint leaking it is probably working. Their are guys all around here that can work on them and certify them for less then $100. I pay 30 bucks to have mine certified all the time. I don't get how they can tell you that you need to upgrade if a repair is needed.

Putting those pipes above ground is absolutely stupid. For the backflow, I would move it away from the road and put a small building over it. It's common here to have well houses over the wells, pressure tank and backwash cleanout here in Texas. Even with those and almost no snow, those pipes can freeze during a few days of really cold weather and no power like in 2010. We insulated ours at the ranch with 2 layers of R8 styrofoam and put a heat lamp with a timer inside. I can't imagine having any of that sitting in a few feet of snow exposed.

I appreciate the input tox. I am forwarding him everyone's comments so he can do the correct repair.

Latest posts

Back