Glued P Traps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanphoenix

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife bought three new sink faucets to replace the old ones. I replaced the first faucet and started looking at the instructions for the popup assembly. Long story short, the P Trap is fully glued together. Is there any way I can get the old popup out (and new one in) without cutting the p trap out and replacing it?

All three sink drains are glued this way, so I'm really hoping there's some simple method I'm missing.

Thanks!

Unthread the tail piece out of the old pop up. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

Me, I would be cutting those traps out and replacing with tubular compression traps.

Reactions: SHR
Me, I would be cutting those traps out and replacing with tubular compression traps.

Must be a Florida thing. When I was in Orlando those traps were on everything I looked at. It was irritating because I'm a glued trap kinda guy :D

Awesome! That worked for removing the old one. Unfortunately the new one is a solid plastic piece with no seperate tail piece. I'm guessing I can buy a seperate one that is not constructed this way and then screw the cover piece on so that it matches the faucet.

Follow up questions: With my current setup there is no way I can actually check the P trap for anything that fell down the drain right? I mean in order to do that I would need to cut the piece out. If I were to replace a single p trap with one that was detachable, roughly how long would that take?

Thanks for your help and fast response!

Must be a Florida thing. When I was in Orlando those traps were on everything I looked at. It was irritating because I'm a glued trap kinda guy :D

The glued traps look like higher quality, but when I have have to snake a drain arm, or change a popup, or replace with a different sink with a different center, they look like a pain.

Awesome! That worked for removing the old one. Unfortunately the new one is a solid plastic piece with no seperate tail piece. I'm guessing I can buy a seperate one that is not constructed this way and then screw the cover piece on so that it matches the faucet.

Follow up questions: With my current setup there is no way I can actually check the P trap for anything that fell down the drain right? I mean in order to do that I would need to cut the piece out. If I were to replace a single p trap with one that was detachable, roughly how long would that take?

Thanks for your help and fast response!
It would take me roughly 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back